Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 07:31
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 07:44
    Reuben Fine has some interesting anecdotes about why he liked going over games of one GM vs. another, playing one GM vs. another, or reading the books of one GM vs. another. To really understand the mindset and impressions of the GMs of the early 20th century (thus several generations removed from us), I think you have to rely on some oberservations of the time.
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 08:50
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    don't get much attention from chess fans as Capablanca, Alekhine, Morphy, Fischer and Kasparov etc... or even that Kramnik
    I think it's a style thing, 10 years from now the opposite
    may be true. Just like lines of play being in vouge for
    a few years, then falling into disuse.
    🙂
  7. Big D
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 13:41
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Russian chessplayers never pay much attention to other strong chessplayers. They always promote their own heroes ... and in case they mention a foreigner and show one of his games .... he always loses.
    Korchnoi was a big fan of Lasker's style; Petrosian of Capablanca's and Nimzovitch's. I'm certain Botvinnik and Smyslov studied every Rubinstein game they could find.
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 15:38
    Originally posted by Rizhanin
    I can't see any connection with the thread topic. Not to mention it's complete nonsense what you're saying.
    Oh, those Russians ...... 😀 😵
  9. Joined
    21 Jun '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 22:07
    Oh, those Russians ...... 😀 😵
    I'm still waiting for an answer.
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 15:171 edit
    Originally posted by Rizhanin
    I'm still waiting for an answer.
    To which question ?

By the way, are you Russian or Latvian ?
  11. Joined
    21 Jun '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 17:28
    To which question ?

By the way, are you Russian or Latvian ?
    Maybe you should have asked this question before your previous post? 😉
  12. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 12:38
    My favorite three are Lasker, Capablanca, and Petrosian !!!
    I think Fischer labeling Lasker as a coffeehouse player may have a little to do with it. Petrosian was an outstanding player. His games are very hard to get a hold of. In the past, books on Petrosian's games have been way overpriced. $30 for the Clarke book was a little steep and that's just a recent addition. Petrosian has a style that is very hard to study. His skills lay in positional maneuvering. People like to study flashy tactics and quick kills like Tal. It is harder to get anything from someone who lays in wait 30 moves at a time, and picks them off in the endgame. Lasker and Petrosian were the greatest two masters of defense. Lasker showed how to make a real fight of it, and Petrosian showed how you shouldn't lose without weaknesses.
  13. Big D
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 14:00
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    My favorite three are Lasker, Capablanca, and Petrosian !!!
    I think Fischer labeling Lasker as a coffeehouse player may have a little to do with it. Petrosian was an outstanding player. His games are very hard to get a hold of. In the past, books on Petrosian's games have been way overpriced. $30 for the Clarke book was a little steep and th ...[text shortened]... w to make a real fight of it, and Petrosian showed how you shouldn't lose without weaknesses.
    Lasker and Petrosian are difficult to study. The book on defense by Collin Crouch mentioned earlier is very interesting because it is devoted only to the defensive technique of these two outstanding players.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 20:33
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    Lasker and Petrosian are difficult to study. The book on defense by Collin Crouch mentioned earlier is very interesting because it is devoted only to the defensive technique of these two outstanding players.
    Are they techniques use normal level players can use in everyday games?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree