1. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 18:16
    Originally posted by byedidia
    I think Lasker said it first. The way I always quote it is, "When you see a good move, sit on your hands and look for a better one."
    The version I heard is slightly more aggressive, but I don't know who said it first:

'Found a good move? Good for you. Now find a better one'.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 18:18
    Originally posted by byedidia
    I think Lasker said it first. The way I always quote it is, "When you see a good move, sit on your hands and look for a better one."
    Yes, that reads better. 🙂
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 19:02
    Here is another one of your games. You are playing white:

After black plays 19.Bxa3 and takes your knight how do you recapture? How many pieces can recapture? Looks like a pawn, rook and queen.

You made the wrong decision. You don't win chess games with good moves you lose chess games with bad moves.
  4. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 05:161 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Here is another one of your games. You are playing white:

[pgn]1. e4 e5 2. Ng1f3 d6 3. Bf1c4 Ng8h6 4. d4 Nh6g4 5. Qd1e2 Nb8c6 6. a3 Nc6xd4 7. Nf3xd4 exd4 8. Qe2f3 f6 9. h3 Ng4e5 10. Qf3b3 a5 11. a4 c6 12. Bc1f4 Ne5g6 13. Bc4f7 Ke8d7 14. Bf7e6 Kd7c7 15. Bf4d2 d5 16. exd5 cxd5 17. Be6xd5 Ng6e5 18. Bd2f4 Bf8d6 19. Nb1a3 Bd6xa3 20. Qb3xa3 Qd8xd5 21. O-O Bc8f5 ...[text shortened]... wrong decision. You don't win chess games with good moves you lose chess games with bad moves.
    sorry
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 11:211 edit
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    sorry
    A lot of advice has been given here, much of it very good and practical. When we leave a piece enprise its usually the result of a faulty thought process. We have failed to discern the danger. When we miss a mate, its usually the result of a faulty thought process, not looking at the most forcing continuations first and foremost. There are as far as I can discern, very few books dedicated to the thought process and the ones that are, are either two difficult, Abrahams the chess mind or Silmans reassess your chess which is a little patronising and not very helpful at all.

Personally I have found that self analysis is the best. Analysis of ones games and the thought processes which led to the loss. I have found it very very difficult to discipline my mind during a practical game of chess and to follow a systematic way of looking at the game, evaluating the position. The result is a kind of aimlessness and making sub optimal moves.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 14:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    A lot of advice has been given here, much of it very good and practical. When we leave a piece enprise its usually the result of a faulty thought process. We have failed to discern the danger. When we miss a mate, its usually the result of a faulty thought process, not looking at the most forcing continuations first and foremost. There are as far ...[text shortened]... ame, evaluating the position. The result is a kind of aimlessness and making sub optimal moves.
    Yes, a good and clinical thought process is key. This can always be improved by taking a little longer over move selection. An awareness of the whole board is critical. (Forget about the fianchetto bishop at your peril).
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '15
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 20:57
    I can help you improve the way you are thinking and your understanding.Send me a message if you are interested.
  8. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 11:47
    I was just reading an excellent review by Jeremy Silman this morning (the review is excellent, the book probably not). I think it sums up exactly what you need to do to become a better player:
    http://dev.jeremysilman.com/shop/pc/Move-First-Think-Later-p3741.htm
  9. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 14:21
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    I was just reading an excellent review by Jeremy Silman this morning (the review is excellent, the book probably not). I think it sums up exactly what you need to do to become a better player:
    http://dev.jeremysilman.com/shop/pc/Move-First-Think-Later-p3741.htm
    I was reading this review up to the point where he says

"... and if you have aspirations to become an IM or GM, you need to look at 100,000 (preferably lots more than that) games."

How true is this?
    To me it just seems like.... well, a lot.

I may not even have played or looked through 100,000 moves since I started playing,
    yet my game's improved quite a bit (ok not exactly master level, but still).
  10. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 14:48
    This raised my eyebrows as well, but you have to consider:
    - he talks about acquiring patterns and just means flipping through the games (probably spending only a few minutes per game)
    - this is the method for professional players who can (or want to) spend their full time on study.

Spending 2 min. on each game, you would need about 3,333 hours, which is about 2 full-time years of study (assuming 200 8-hour working days).

I am actually wondering how one would go about selecting games and keeping track of which games already looked at in an efficient way. But probably there will be some tools out there, as well as the input from a teacher.
  11. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 14:58
    I'd never heard of this technique before a few years ago (i.e. many decades after I started playing chess) but I stumbled across something similar by myself when I was trying to learn a new opening (the Kings Indian in this case). What I did was play through lots of games on chessgames.com without trying to analyse the positions too deeply, or indeed at all, and I found that I sort of got a feel for what sort of plans Black tried. I must admit that I only looked at Black wins, but that was because I wanted to learn how to play the opening as Black and I didn't want to learn how to lose!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 15:16
    Originally posted by tvochess
    This raised my eyebrows as well, but you have to consider:
    - he talks about acquiring patterns and just means flipping through the games (probably spending only a few minutes per game)
    - this is the method for professional players who can (or want to) spend their full time on study.

Spending 2 min. on each game, you would need about 3,333 hours, which ...[text shortened]... cient way. But probably there will be some tools out there, as well as the input from a teacher.
    The idea has merit.

Indeed, the single best predictor of an individual’s chess skill is not the amount of chess he’s played against opponents, but rather the amount of time he’s spent sitting alone working through old games. - moonwalking with einstein

http://blog.supplysideliberal.com/post/51204513930/joshua-foer-on-deliberate-practice
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 16:02
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    I was reading this review up to the point where he says

[b]"... and if you have aspirations to become an IM or GM, you need to look at 100,000 (preferably lots more than that) games."

How true is this?
    To me it just seems like.... well, a lot.

I may not even have played or looked through 100,000 moves since I started playing,
    yet my game's improved quite a bit (ok not exactly master level, but still).[/b]
    1 or 2 high-level games picked apart to the point of understanding are worth 1000 high-level games just breezing through the moves as fast as possible.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '15 14:20
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    1 or 2 high-level games picked apart to the point of understanding are worth 1000 high-level games just breezing through the moves as fast as possible.
    have you got your scripts ready yet?
  15. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    30 Apr '15 15:52
    My advice would be to go after the low hanging fruit, ie find the weaknesses in your game responsible for many of your losses and that can be remedied with the least substantial amount of effort.

The way I would do it would be to have someone I respect chess-wise and who can see the wood from the trees, look at your games, and see where you are fundamentally failing again and again.

Make a shortlist of the most important and more easily rectified failings and work on those one at a time until that aspect is no longer a very weak element of your game, then pick another area to improve on.

At least that is how I would tackle things.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree