1. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 00:26
    How do you know if you are mentally perpared to play a long game of chess? Sometimes Im not 100% when I am playing. This is very frusterating becasuse usually I lose very quickly. I wish there was a mental checklist to keep me from losing my games. Any suggestions?

For your pleasure I have included a blindfold puzzle I was thinking of last night. Pretty sure Ive seen it somewhere else just cant remember. Remember no looky! Post solution here.

white:pawn a7, Nc8, Bh1, Ke3
    black:pawns on b7 and e5, Ka8
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 00:291 edit
    i know i am ready when my heart is pounding with excitment, i can barely catch my breath, i feel a twinge of anticipation blended with some apprehension that he will be aggressive and try to penetrate my defenses, still i welcome the contact, and make my own advances. then, just as the first moves are made, i fall into it completely and surrender totally to caissa.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 00:40
    that sounds like a night out at the strip club with chessvanity.
  4. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 00:451 edit
    Originally posted by likeforest
    [remember. Remember no looky! Post solution here.

black:pawns on b7 and e5, Ka8[/b]b]How do you know if you are mentally perpared to play a long game of chess? Sometimes Im not 100% when I am playing. This is very frusterating becasuse usually I lose very quickly. I wish there was a mental checklist to keep me from losing ...[text shortened]... d a blindfold puzzle I was thinking of last night. Pretty sure Ive seen it somewhere else just cant
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 01:56
    that sounds like a night out at the strip club with chessvanity.
    No it sounds like a night with Chessvanity when he thinks the Bruins might win a game for a change๐Ÿ˜€
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 02:47
    when you do CTS for a long time, you learn to judge your mental state better and better. I suppose the same would happen over time with playing normal games, but CTS gives you a fast and accurate quantitive evaluation of your performance. which makes it easier to learn how your performance relates to how you feel.

like now, I'm slowly getting better from a flu. I feel 'ok' otherwise, but I also know I can't perform better than 1580 at 90% success rate, no matter how I try. but in a couple of days 1600 will be easy again.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 03:13
    Good idea, maybe ill just grind out some CTS to see how I feel before I start playing a game.
  8. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 05:24
    For me its always about focus. I can focus whether i'm sick or healthy. Its when I am distracted that I play worse then normal. You just got to forget about everything else but that game, that moment. Once you're in a zone, you're ready.

My personal Check list
    1. Clear Your mind.
    2. Don't Relax
    3. Focus your mind into the Zone.
  9. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 07:18
    How do you know if you are mentally perpared to play a long game of chess? Sometimes Im not 100% when I am playing. This is very frusterating becasuse usually I lose very quickly. I wish there was a mental checklist to keep me from losing my games. Any suggestions?

For your pleasure I have included a blindfold puzzle I was thinking of last night. ...[text shortened]... ber no looky! Post solution here.

black:pawns on b7 and e5, Ka8
    If the question is white to move and stalemate black, the the solution is Ke3-e4 ๐Ÿ˜
  10. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 07:24
    Originally posted by MetBierOp
    If the question is white to move and stalemate black, the the solution is Ke3-e4 ๐Ÿ˜
    But seriously what is the question?
    I cannot see a forced mate.
    White to move and win has to many good answers.
    Black to move and draw/or win does not seem to be possible.
  11. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 07:371 edit
    Wait! Kingwalk. The white king walks to b6. (takes 4 moves). The black pawn walks to queen (also 4 moves), Then 5.Bxb7#.

so the question was white to move and mate in 5.
    nice problem especially blindfolded!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 00:50
    Its actually white to play and mate in two. Sorry for not including who was to move. Speaking of moving, are you ready to resign yet?
  13. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 00:59
    1.Ke4,b6(or b5) 2.Kxe5 mate

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree