1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '20 00:531 edit
    How many games do you have to play to realize that winning or losing does not matter?

If you play, one of three things will happen. No matter how many times you win, you will lose. No matter how many times you lose, you will win.

In the end, the only game that matters is the one you are playing. It will end and at one point another will begin. Win, lose or stalemate, that game is not the game you are playing.
  2. Joined
    01 May '20
    Moves
    16 May '20 00:58
    I was 1200 forever and angry.

Then one day I was 1400.

Forever passed and later I became almost 1600.

(20 years!)

It can get old when you want to be great but don't quit studying.
    Improvements are slow but if it came naturally and fast I wouldn't care or even play.

I believe everyone can be 1800 fide which is 2000 online or better.
    Don't quit.
    Study the greats.
    Solve tactics.
    Study endgames.
    Learn chess strategy.

And then...
    Go over all of that again...and again.

Oh and don't change your opening/style after some losses.
    Leard from your mistakes and learn your style/openings.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '20 00:59
    @The-Pickled-Walrus

Learning from games is important, but the outcome is irrelavent.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 May '20 01:23
    @eladar said
    How many games do you have to play to realize that winning or losing does not matter?
    Children learn that at Primary School.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '20 01:331 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    Children learn that at Primary School.
    Do they?

I doubt that. At least ones who are good athletes. Could explain why you believe all kids learn it.

How many successful professional athletes have learned that lesson?

Oh and the athletes do not learn it because if you are good enough you can always win.
  6. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 May '20 06:01
    @eladar said
    @The-Pickled-Walrus

Learning from games is important, but the outcome is irrelavent.
    IMO - Half right. Learning from games is important., however the outcome IS relevant. I don't put hours of focused concentration into a game with rating points on the line, only to whistle a happy tune when I lose. I'm respectful to my opponents, but I play to win.

If winning isn't important, why do they keep score?
    Vince Lombardi - Green Bay Wisconsin 1967
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '20 06:12
    @mchill said
    IMO - Half right. Learning from games is important., however the outcome IS relevant. I don't put hours of focused concentration into a game with rating points on the line, only to whistle a happy tune when I lose. I'm respectful to my opponents, but I play to win.

If winning isn't important, why do they keep score?
    Vince Lombardi - Green Bay Wisconsin 1967
    If you play often enough your rating will just go up and down.

In football a season is unique. There are very few games, perhaps 18 games the team wins the super bowl. Lombardi's time it was more like 14 games maybe less.

Chess you end up playing many more games than that in an endless season.
  8. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 May '20 06:213 edits
    @eladar said

In football a season is unique. There are very few games, perhaps 18 games the team wins the super bowl. Lombardi's time it was more like 14 games maybe less.

Chess you end up playing many more games than that in an endless season.

Yes, this is true, if that's all you do. However if one combines a moderate playing schedule with consistent lessons in tactics, endgame play, and openings study, your rating will go up if you take it seriously. I did this back in the 90's, going from 1325 to 1790 (USCF) over a 3 year period before leaving chess-

- and I'm going to do it again! 🙂
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '20 06:32
    @eladar said

If you play, one of three things will happen. No matter how many times you win, you will lose. No matter how many times you lose, you will win.

In the end, the only game that matters is the one you are playing. It will end and at one point another will begin. Win, lose or stalemate, that game is not the game you are playing.
    I've played chess for 30 years. I'm still waiting for it not to matter when I lose. 🙂
  10. Joined
    01 May '20
    Moves
    16 May '20 06:50
    I think Eladar has the chess blues...

Hang in there...

You're better than most 😉
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 May '20 08:02
    @eladar said
    Do they?

I doubt that. At least ones who are good athletes. Could explain why you believe all kids learn it.

How many successful professional athletes have learned that lesson?

Oh and the athletes do not learn it because if you are good enough you can always win.
    If you correct that post for grammar I'll respond.

Otherwise it's an F-
  12. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    16 May '20 08:281 edit
    Every loss is a lesson. Every clean scalp is putting the lessons into practice. I used to play competitive. Kids & an ex wife put pay to that. Now I just push the wood. For me it's the love I have for the game.
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 May '20 09:57
    @eladar said

It is a question of personality. Some will start with that attitude, some will never have it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree