how often do you guys do this?

how often do you guys do this?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
17 Feb 10

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
There is a USCF rule about spurious conduct, including repeated draw offers. I left my rule book at the club, so I'll get it Thursday and post the reference. There is a general rule about spurious conduct of all sorts, and even specific references to people who have lost interest in the game and no longer intend to move, and and attempt to just let th ...[text shortened]... of chess, it is well worth your while to do so before you play in a tournament.

Paul
Good to know. Makes playing in tournaments seem like a skill unto itself. Could someone - like me for instance - who has never played in an organized tournament that follows the rules simply show up and not have any problem playing? I know that I probably need to become a USCF member right? Aside from that does one really need to read the rule book first?

Moves
17 Feb 10

Originally posted by Fat Lady
A few months ago I was controlling a tournament where my son (aged 11) was playing. He was destroying his opponent, but instead of checkmating her he promoted an extra couple of pawns and started checking her around the board. After the game I told him off for showing his opponent no respect, and it turned out that at the start of the round the other contro ...[text shortened]... s game lasted more than ten minutes - my son was just trying to make sure he got his chocolate.
lol i wonder if anyone messed their game up from a winning position trying to get the chocolate.

MR

Moves
17 Feb 10

Originally posted by TSaffle
Good to know. Makes playing in tournaments seem like a skill unto itself. Could someone - like me for instance - who has never played in an organized tournament that follows the rules simply show up and not have any problem playing? I know that I probably need to become a USCF member right? Aside from that does one really need to read the rule book first?
You don't have to read the rule book; Many don't bother. But I would recommend that you do. I think it helps a lot.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
18 Feb 10

Originally posted by TSaffle
Not really, but it does help. At a minimum, one should understand the touch/move rules, how to offer a draw, how to claim a draw, and how to record a game (notation).

One simple rule that can act as a substitute for almost everything:

The Golden Chess Rule: When in doubt, stop the clock, inform your opponent that you are summoning the tournament director to ask a question, and then do so immediately. The tournament director will answer your question and assist with any issues regarding rules and conduct.

If you also show up before the first round a little early, you can ask other players what you need to know, and there are always people willing to answer questions and help in general. Chess players can be a funky lot, but there are lots of nice people who play. Good luck!