Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 10 Jul '13 18:08
    I never really got a concrete number on how often to play as a club player. I was just told "play more".
  2. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    10 Jul '13 18:21
    Originally posted by hamworld
    I never really got a concrete number on how often to play as a club player. I was just told "play more".
    There is no concrete number. You have to determine that based on how your mind and body feels. Practice makes perfect is an old saying to go by to improve. So you have to be the judge of how much practice by playing at a chess club and how much study you need to do that results in the best improvement for you, within the time you can put aside for chess.

    The Instructor
  3. 10 Jul '13 19:58
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There is no concrete number. You have to determine that based on how your mind and body feels. Practice makes perfect is an old saying to go by to improve. So you have to be the judge of how much practice by playing at a chess club and how much study you need to do that results in the best improvement for you, within the time you can put aside for chess.

    The Instructor
    Well that's just it, if I let myself, I could study and analyze all day and rarely play any games.
  4. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    11 Jul '13 00:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by hamworld
    Well that's just it, if I let myself, I could study and analyze all day and rarely play any games.
    That is probably why someone told you to play more at the chess club. You must put your study to the test by practice in real games. Then you will know what area you need to study more and if you are learning, because you will see how you are improving by the rating system.

    The Instructor
  5. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    11 Jul '13 00:35
    I wonder if anyone has ever just solved chess problems but never played.