1. Joined
    14 Nov '10
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 18:20
    Hi, I'm new to this site and was wondering how to go about finding new opponents.

I'm rated about 1500 USCF, so I went and challenged a few players in that rating bracket, but all my games were deleted and I even received a rude message about how I shouldn't be challenging random people.

What to do?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 18:25
    You can go into the new game section and click on open invites and see if anyone will allow for provisional players.

You can start up a new game and let anyone play you at first. Usually higher rated players avoid provisionals players, many provisionals just quit so it is a waste of time for people who have played here for a while.

Play anyone who will play you unitl you get a non provisional rating, then you can find people to play with you. You can either put up an offer in the new game area or pick up an open invite.

Have fun.
  3. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 18:30
    It may also help to send a message with your first move when you challene people, asking if they want to play or say hi or something, or send them a personal message first. In my profile I ask everyone to do this, but nevertheless, few ever do so they get deleted right away.
  4. Joined
    14 Nov '10
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 18:55
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You can go into the new game section and click on open invites and see if anyone will allow for provisional players.

You can start up a new game and let anyone play you at first. Usually higher rated players avoid provisionals players, many provisionals just quit so it is a waste of time for people who have played here for a while.

Play anyone who will ...[text shortened]... u. You can either put up an offer in the new game area or pick up an open invite.

Have fun.
    Thanks.

I notice a lot of the open invites have rating restrictions, but in setting one up I was unable to impose such a restriction. Could you help me?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 19:071 edit
    I don't know if you want to do that until you get your non provisional rating.

Of course you could describe yourself as a 1500 in the game title, you might get a bite.

Go into advanced options. It will allow you to set a min or max rating opponent for the game.
  6. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 19:12
    Originally posted by kalvinator
    Thanks.

I notice a lot of the open invites have rating restrictions, but in setting one up I was unable to impose such a restriction. Could you help me?
    New Game-scrolling down-Advanced Options-Open invite min and open invite max.
  7. Joined
    14 Nov '10
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 19:12
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I don't know if you want to do that until you get your non provisional rating.

Of course you could describe yourself as a 1500 in the game title, you might get a bite.

Go into advanced options. It will allow you to set a min or max rating opponent for the game.
    *Advanced options*
    Sorry, further options are not available until you complete 20 rated games.

Its OK though because I've now had a few people challenge me.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 19:231 edit
    All will be good once you get your first 20 games in.

If you want to play more than 6 games at a time, you'll have to pay the membership fee.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree