Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    01 Nov '12 02:24
    I don't see where you can pgn a game to put up on the chess forum. How do you do that?
  2. 01 Nov '12 02:31
    click info / get pgn

    copy it and paste it to a forum post

    put [pgn] and [/pgn (closed) around each side
  3. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    01 Nov '12 02:34
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    click info / get pgn

    copy it and paste it to a forum post

    put [pgn] and [/pgn (closed) around each side
    Thanks!

  4. 01 Nov '12 02:38
    Welcome

    to add notes add { } in the pgn after the move

    for instance 1.d4 {queen pawn} d5 {symmetrical} etc
  5. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    01 Nov '12 03:02 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Welcome

    to add notes add { } in the pgn after the move

    for instance 1.d4 {queen pawn} d5 {symmetrical} etc
    You can't do that after the game has been PGN'd, can you? I hit edit to look at the pgn but nothing happened when I tried to click in between moves on the pgn list.

    King Tiger is a lot stronger than me and will help analyzing this game. You are welcome to kick in too! Would be appreciated.
  6. 01 Nov '12 03:09 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You can't do that after the game has been PGN'd, can you? I hit edit to look at the pgn but nothing happened when I tried to click in between moves on the pgn list.

    King Tiger is a lot stronger than me and will help analyzing this game. You are welcome to kick in too! Would be appreciated.
    I think you can go back in and change it, but since you have a time limit on the edit (I think you do), you may be better just repasting it and doing it from there.

    Like this:

    [Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2012.10.24"]
    [EndDate "2012.11.01"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "sonhouse"]
    [Black "King Tiger"]
    [WhiteRating "1658"]
    [BlackRating "1977"]
    [WhiteElo "1658"]
    [BlackElo "1977"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [GameId "9611429"]

    1. e4 {Best By Test} c5 {The Sicilian Defense} 2. c3 {White prefers a solid move to the more theoretical tries to an advantage.} Ng8f6 {etc ... etc} 3. e5 Nf6d5 4. d4 cxd4 5. cxd4 Nb8c6 6. Bf1c4 Nd5b6 7. Bc4b3 d6 8. f4 dxe5 9. dxe5 Qd8xd1 10. Bb3xd1 Bc8f5 11. Ng1f3 Ra8d8 12. O-O e6 13. Nb1c3 Bf8c5 14. Kg1h1 O-O 15. Nf3e1 Nb6c4 16. Rf1f3 Bf5g4 17. Rf3d3 Bg4xd1 18. Rd3xd1 Rd8xd1 19. Nc3xd1 Rf8d8 20. Nd1c3 Bc5d4 21. Nc3e2 Bd4f2 22. Ne1f3 Rd8d1 23. Nf3g1 Nc6d4 0-1

    There, I left off the pgn brackets in front in back to show what I mean.

    Here it is with the pgn brackets:

  7. 01 Nov '12 03:15
    You try to annotate it first, so that we can see your thinking process during the game. You don't have to go in to deep. Just a brief explanation of your thoughts/ideas about the positions is enough. After you give it a go, I'll annotate it too or give you some pointers if you want.
  8. 01 Nov '12 19:26
    Sonhouse and I recently played a game and he asked me to provide some analysis. I am new to this so hopefully it works (so in the Joker's famous words., 'Here...we...go'😉.



    My game plan was simple-came up with an idea at move 10 and tried to go with it. exploit white's position, and for this position it was white's back rank. I had space and tempo, white was constantly playing from their back rank. I think the critical moves for white (since white asked where did they go wrong) were 8 f4 and 16 Rf3, I'm sure there are others, but those really stuck out to me. I'll take any thoughts from anyone.


    Black has a clearly stronger pawn structure, and with black's next move e6 black can start exploiting the open diagonal if the white king castles.
  9. 01 Nov '12 21:26
    This is a really hard game to annotate. You made a minor slip in the opening (f4). It doesn't look like it should lead to a loss, but from what I see it might.
    It's really hard to get your c1 bishop into the game after that (I tried all sorts of Be3 or Bb2 combinations.).

    I'm not going to throw them in the notes, but it seems like an early Be3 is always met by Nd5 or Nc4 (attacking e3 and b2) and b3 Bb2 variations are just too slow.

    Add that with your opponent's strong play (Tiger King's), and you never had a chance.

    *I have an old weaker engine that I used to run this on. I gave it about 30 seconds a move. The game leaves theory about move 8, so I really started around there.




    Your opponent's play is so accurate that you don't have a chance.
    1 move of the game (starting at move 8) is not in the top 2 picks.
    2 moves are 2nd best (according to my weak engine).
    13 moves are top picks.

    I'm not saying Tiger used an engine. A lot of the moves do flow naturally.
    Even so, how are you going to beat a player that plays this well after you misstep into a bad position?

    I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  10. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    02 Nov '12 12:33
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    This is a really hard game to annotate. You made a minor slip in the opening (f4). It doesn't look like it should lead to a loss, but from what I see it might.
    It's really hard to get your c1 bishop into the game after that (I tried all sorts of Be3 or Bb2 combinations.).

    I'm not going to throw them in the notes, but it seems like an earl ...[text shortened]... a bad position?

    I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Thanks for the analysis, you both agree f4 was probably the move that set up the whole thing. Very instructive game for sure. I have only played the alapin in blitz so have a bit to learn about it. Thanks both of you.