1. Joined
    25 Feb '10
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 01:06
    so ive been playing my sister, and recently she has decided to move all her pawns in a "V" formation. and i cant really advance further without having to lose some pieces(not always pawns). and now she always uses this strategy
    i just started playing chess about 3 weeks ago so im pretty much a beginner.
    i have not really found a way to counter this without losing vital pieces.

so can someone who is more experienced give me some tips on how to counter this?
    i made a crappy mspaint picture for you to see what im talking about.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n468/konvikt420/chessboardV.jpg
    she basically gets her Pawns in that position. (P=pawn) it doesnt matter what color she is either, she will do this strategy.

any help would be appreciated.
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 01:16
    Originally posted by konvikt19
    so ive been playing my sister, and recently she has decided to move all her pawns in a "V" formation. and i cant really advance further without having to lose some pieces(not always pawns). and now she always uses this strategy
    i have not really found a way to counter this witho ...[text shortened]... matter what color she is either, she will do this strategy.

this might be the worst system someone could play. I would just take the center, make moves like e4,d4,nf3,Bc4.. there is going to be some gaping holes in their camp.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 01:28
    i have not really found a way to counter this witho ...[text shortened]... matter what color she is either, she will do this strategy.

While she wastes 8 moves develop your pieces and castle.

Put your kings bishop in front of your king then at opportune moment play to rook5 and check.

swap pawns to leave her with more pawn chains than you (better still isolated or doubled pawns)
  4. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 04:13
    WOW that picture is epic
  5. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 07:491 edit
    a single bishop on g3 checkmates 😀
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 16:411 edit
    It is just as important to lok at where the pawns aren't, and to look at what squares the pawns DO NOT control.

On the black kingside, not a single light square is controlled by a pawn, with the exception of e6, and that is by the queenpawn. On the queenside, the oppositie is the case. Consequently, your pieces will find excellent posts on the kingside light squares, and also on the queenside dark squares.

I recommend getting Pawn Power in Chess by Hans Kmoch (cheaper in descriptive notation, but easier to read in algebraic). Merely reading chapter one "The Elements in Review" will equip you to dispatch this type of play with ease.

Here is also a link to a chess computer programming site, which defines and explains some of the terms he uses. You can ignore the terms, as he got carried away with them, but pay attention to the concepts, and your chess will dramatically improve.

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Hans+Kmoch

Paul
  7. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 16:50

Have you seen this?

8. e4
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 19:12
    Originally posted by randolph
    WOW that picture is epic
  9. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 19:261 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [fen]rnbqkbnr/3pp3/2p2p2/1p4p1/p1BPP1Bp/2N2N2/PPP1QPPP/3RR1K w kq - 0 1[/fen]
    Edit -Ugh sorry. FEN brain no function
  10. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 19:27
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [fen]rnbqkbnr/3pp3/2p2p2/1p4p1/p1BPP1Bp/2N2N2/PPP1QPPP/3RR1K w kq - 0 1[/fen]
  11. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 19:36
    Originally posted by Exuma
    [fen]rnbqkbnr/3pp3/2p2p2/1p4p1/p2PP2p/2NBBN2/PPP1QPPP/3RR1K w kq - 0 1[/fen]
    As indicated above, white simply plays e5 and destroys black's position, using the threat Bg6#
  12. e4
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 20:15
    As has been pointed out the weakness created by pushing the f & g pawns
    with either colour should be punished.

This will give you ideas.

13. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 05:201 edit
    I suspect that when you say lose pieces you might be afraid of trading pieces.

Don`t be afraid of trading pieces -- an even trade isn`t a bad thing.

I also wonder if that V formation is the Canada geese trying to fly over to visit you.
  14. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 16:56
    Originally posted by Exuma
    Have you seen this?

[pgn] 1.f3 e5 2.g4 Qh4+ [/pgn]
    Very cool, now I can beat anyone in two moves. 😞
  15. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 16:59

Tell her her pants make her butt look big, and her shoes are ugly, then attack those flanks. Do we have to tell you everything?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree