1. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 01:27
    I know it's against the rules for anyone to help another player in making a move.

What I'm wondering is if it's against the rules to point out database positions that would help my friend make the best move? I'm not telling him what to do, I'm just showing him an identical (or very similar) position. Is it pushing it?
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 01:28
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    I know it's against the rules for anyone to help another player in making a move.

What I'm wondering is if it's against the rules to point out database positions that would help my friend make the best move? I'm not telling him what to do, I'm just showing him an identical (or very similar) position. Is it pushing it?
    Probably.
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 01:44

You just said that your pointing out of database positions would help your friend make the best move. Sounds like helping to me.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 01:48
    i think the terminology of the rules talk about 'suggesting' moves. We aren't really doing that, we're 'informing' about moves...
    I think I'm gonna avoid it anyways, but it would be nice to know, because I AM very involved in my friend's learning.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 01:57
    i think the terminology of the rules talk about 'suggesting' moves. We aren't really doing that, we're 'informing' about moves...
    I think I'm gonna avoid it anyways, but it would be nice to know, because I AM very involved in my friend's learning.
    TOS Rule 3.(b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third party to assist you in any game. Chess books and databases can be consulted during play

Even if you're only "informing" him of moves related to a game he's playing, I interpret that as "consulting a third party to assist you in a game", which is not allowed. I think the intent is that a database can be consulted, but the player has to do 100% of the work himself.

I think you're smart to avoid doing it.
  6. London
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 02:071 edit

Just go over it when the game has finished playing...free then to consult anyone or anything. And you'd be helping to instill a strong sense of fair play.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree