1. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 08:351 edit
    A friend of mine I played OTB a while ago (estimate equivalent rating around 1100 on here) tried some very weird "en passant" variant (I can't remember the details of the move). I questioned him about it and he said it was an official move in chess told by another friend of his which is accepted by the international chess federation.

I have a feeling he saw "en passant" played on him before and remembered it incorrectly. Because it is such an obscure move (to low rated players), he probably believed that I hadn't heard of it before.

Of course, I hadn't heard of *his* version of the move before.
  2. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 09:10
    Ahh the old:

1.e4 e5 2.exe5 trick?
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 09:13
    One of my tricks is
    23. b2-b4 Bc4xb3 e.p. (!)
    Works from time to time in bullet games...
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 13:12
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    One of my tricks is
    23. b2-b4 Bc4xb3 e.p. (!)
    Works from time to time in bullet games...
    Risky, though. If you're playing "proper" rules, if you make any illegal move in rapid play your opponent can claim a win.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 13:23
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Risky, though. If you're playing "proper" rules, if you make any illegal move in rapid play your opponent can claim a win.
    If the position is inferior,and you're about to die, what do you have to lose anyway?

I saw a bullet game where one king moved up and took the other king. Much confusion.
    The rule is that in order to win you must declare an illegal move before you move a piece yourself. He didn't obviously have the time to do that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree