Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 07 Oct '09 14:17
    if you are playing a rated game with a friend that you continually play, and he accidentally moves his queen onto a square were it can be taken, en prise, in the early stages of the game, he mails you and tells you that it was a genuine mistake that transpired during the use of the analysis board and he tried to take it back but it was too late, what would you do? do you give him a chance to recover by playing a 'blank', move so that he can retreat it, do you mercilessly take it knowing that it will lead to a victory and some rating points but a rubbish one sided game, do you offer a draw and start again, what would you do?
  2. 07 Oct '09 14:22
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    if you are playing a rated game with a friend that you continually play, and he accidentally moves his queen onto a square were it can be taken, en prise, in the early stages of the game, he mails you and tells you that it was a genuine mistake that transpired during the use of the analysis board and he tried to take it back but it was too late, what ...[text shortened]... g points but a rubbish one sided game, do you offer a draw and start again, what would you do?
    I suppose you mean a game here on RHP, right?

    Is it a friendly un-rated game, then - yes.
    Is it a friendly rated game, then - I would get the queen, (*) and start a new game where I copy the moves until the fatal position. If he copies too, then we will have the same position again. Let's hipe that he doesn't make the same mistake again.
    Is it a tournament game, clan game, siege or anything else where other points then pure rating makes a difference - Yes, I would take it without shame.

    (*) But it depends how much friends we are and the difference in rating and such...
  3. 07 Oct '09 17:11
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I suppose you mean a game here on RHP, right?

    Is it a friendly un-rated game, then - yes.
    Is it a friendly rated game, then - I would get the queen, (*) and start a new game where I copy the moves until the fatal position. If he copies too, then we will have the same position again. Let's hipe that he doesn't make the same mistake again.
    Is it a tour ...[text shortened]... shame.

    (*) But it depends how much friends we are and the difference in rating and such...
    umm, its a friendly game although rated and i shall not take the queen, but suggest that i move an innocuous move say my rook over one square, my friend can retract his queen, i shall move my piece back and he can start again
  4. 07 Oct '09 17:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    if you are playing a rated game with a friend that you continually play, and he accidentally moves his queen onto a square were it can be taken, en prise, in the early stages of the game, he mails you and tells you that it was a genuine mistake that transpired during the use of the analysis board and he tried to take it back but it was too late, what g points but a rubbish one sided game, do you offer a draw and start again, what would you do?
    if it's a live game, I remember wormwood had put it very nicely: he sacrifices some attention to moving pieces on their targeted squares for time. it's just another chess sacrifice and if he makes a mistake, you have all the right to "refute" it.

    on a correspondence game though, I think you should just give back the move if you're friends. It in fact happened to me yesterday:



    I always analyze my games using chessbase, and I input the game wrongly. 5.h3 looks very natural, right? I made the move, went back to my web browser and immediately hit submit.

    only that my opponent had actually played 3...Bc5 and I now look like a complete fool.
  5. 07 Oct '09 17:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    umm, its a friendly game although rated and i shall not take the queen, but suggest that i move an innocuous move
    in fact, I had this happened very recently, as it was in the middle of the game I offered to retract it (the way you had just described it here) but he said he needed no mercy

    also, my tournament opponent once offered that I took back my blunder (opening) move as he wanted, quote, to have a competitive game and not an easy win, that was very generous of him. I lost anyway
  6. 07 Oct '09 18:49
    ok guys, you have convinced me, although i am very trusting, because my opponent could mate, after i make my blank move if he wishes, gulp!
  7. 07 Oct '09 18:55
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    if you are playing a rated game with a friend that you continually play, and he accidentally moves his queen onto a square were it can be taken, en prise, in the early stages of the game, he mails you and tells you that it was a genuine mistake that transpired during the use of the analysis board and he tried to take it back but it was too late, what ...[text shortened]... g points but a rubbish one sided game, do you offer a draw and start again, what would you do?
    Most of the time games are won and lost on mistakes, no ?
    How often does it happen that we realise a mistake a 'New-York second' (i like that one) after hitting the Submit button, should we text the opponent ?
    It happened to me once recently playing blitz, I said 'oops, bad mouse' my opponent just didn't take it, but the game lost completely its sense to me.
    If it happened playing a friend, I would either resign and start a new one or fight till the end.
  8. 07 Oct '09 18:59
    Originally posted by polux
    Most of the time games are won and lost on mistakes, no ?
    How often does it happen that we realise a mistake a 'New-York second' (i like that one) after hitting the Submit button, should we text the opponent ?
    It happened to me once recently playing blitz, I said 'oops, bad mouse' my opponent just didn't take it, but the game lost completely its sense to me ...[text shortened]... happened playing a friend, I would either resign and start a new one or fight till the end.
    its just not much fun playing such a one sided game, all the pieces are on the board, my friends queen shall be making an early exist, the rating difference is 250 points in my favour, my position is solid, its just no fun after that, a waste of time, i need my opponent to be crashing through the kingside while i am crashing through on the opposite wing to feel the excitement, won games are rubbish when they are won so early on.
  9. 07 Oct '09 19:03
    If its a friend, (in real life or just here at rhp) & someone that you regularly play, I would definitely play the extra move to let them take it back, I have done that many a time. Having a good game is more important than the rating points
  10. 07 Oct '09 19:17
    why are you playing a rated game with someone who'll you'll not take a queen against after a mistake?

    maybe start playing the guy unrated?
  11. 07 Oct '09 19:21
    Well if he can't, you could resign then
  12. 07 Oct '09 19:24
    Originally posted by trev33
    why are you playing a rated game with someone who'll you'll not take a queen against after a mistake?

    maybe start playing the guy unrated?
    unrated?????, that even more boring than winning an easily won game!
  13. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    07 Oct '09 19:45
    Play a blank, I have done it 'a few times' here...if it's rated, I trust to the fact that he \ she'll resign at the 'end' of the game. I'd far sooner play a game entire than merely take the win based on obvious error say on move 10 or whatever. Are we not all here for the game itself.. there are no prizes for points, not here
  14. Standard member afx
    07 Oct '09 21:07
    Is he a friend or a "friend"?
    If he is a friend, just take the queen and play a new one.
    If he is a "friend", just take the queen and never play again against him!
    So you will ever be the one, who has won
  15. 07 Oct '09 22:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    unrated?????, that even more boring than winning an easily won game!
    any friendly games i play are always unrated, the games were you enjoy the in-game chat more than the game and if your opponent does make a mistake you can play around a little knowing that you won't lose any points if it backfires.

    set piece games are also very entertaining in friendlies.