1. e4
    Moves
    03 Sep '20 11:32
    I too suffer from the occasional screen blindness and would have a lost
    a lot more games here but for the fact you see the intended move on the
    screen before you press the send button. I have taken back dozens of one
    blunders, sadly one or two when has slipped though I cannot complain a lot
    of my wins, and I dare say yours, have come from one move blunders.

I was good blitz OTB. Still have a newspaper cutting somewhere of a 5 minute
    tourney i won with a100% score in 1985/86 ahead of IM's and other very good players.

I have an account over at another site and suffer so much from blunders and
    mouse slips I have all but given up. OTB ? I have not played blitz for over a year
    now and out of practise, Old age will take longer to get back in the groove.

The blitz here seems very rarely used.
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Sep '20 00:51
    @greenpawn34 said
    I too suffer from the occasional screen blindness and would have a lost
    a lot more games here but for the fact you see the intended move on the
    screen before you press the send button. I have taken back dozens of one
    blunders, sadly one or two when has slipped though I cannot complain a lot
    of my wins, and I dare say yours, have come from one move blunders.

I wa ...[text shortened]... ctise, Old age will take longer to get back in the groove.

The blitz here seems very rarely used.
    Your comment at the end about the blitz site being rarely used made me think of something, but I am going to start another thread to give it some better coverage.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Sep '20 01:38
    @eladar said
    @Paul-Leggett

When I go back and forth between chess boards and screens, I find my board vision requires time to adapt. The two views look nothing alike.
    Me in a nutshell, and now I know I am not alone!
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Sep '20 01:49
    @wolfe63 said
    I can personally vouch for your OTB strength Paul. (Having been victimized by it on several occasions.)

Anyway, I agree that playing online is a completely different cat. It could be that the difference in spatial relationships between the board and pieces affect us in different ways.

Long ago, in a previous incarnation, I was an Air Force electronic technician. ...[text shortened]... play very similar.

Keep trying my good man!
    You're an excellent player and are bound to succeed.
    Thanks bud! I think we picked off each other's hanging pieces enough times that we lost count. Probably because we were talking too much!

I remember when Theo Slade came over from the UK and started playing in our club. At the end of the first day, he remarked that he was amazed at how we all bantered back and forth while playing.

He said he played for 2 years at a club in Cornwall, and no one ever talked at all. Two years later, he still didn't know anyone else there!

I know there are clubs where silence is preferred and even expected, but I guess each player needs to find the place that best suits what he or she is looking for and expecting in a club. I suppose we weren't so much a chess club as a social club that played chess!
  5. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 13:07
    @paul-leggett said
    @congruent

I move too fast and blunder. I think it is basically a personality/character flaw I have.
    Try the following :-
    * Chess tactics practice
    * visualization training

I would bet that most of us here (me included) would struggle in visualization.

For example without sight of board, what is the colour of the following squares

E6, F2, G1

Without sight of the board, can the Knight on G1 get to F5? In two or three moves at most.
  6. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 18:30
    @congruent said
    Try the following :-
    * Chess tactics practice
    * visualization training

I would bet that most of us here (me included) would struggle in visualization.

For example without sight of board, what is the colour of the following squares

E6, F2, G1

Without sight of the board, can the Knight on G1 get to F5? In two or three moves at most.
    Now that's precisely, for me anyway - if you can see the pattern, all follows.
  7. Standard membere4e5f4d5
    Falkbeer
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 20:592 edits
    @Paul-Leggett

You are horrible at blitz!
    I played 50 games at 10 minutes a game at that site under the name Philidumb and my rating is 1795 with an opponent average rating of 1820 and my win/loss/draw is 22/21/7

You need to work on your blitz!
    (I need to work on my correspondence chess because 1600 is brutal)
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 22:09
    @e4e5f4d5 said
    @Paul-Leggett

You are horrible at blitz!
    I played 50 games at 10 minutes a game at that site under the name Philidumb and my rating is 1795 with an opponent average rating of 1820 and my win/loss/draw is 22/21/7

You need to work on your blitz!
    (I need to work on my correspondence chess because 1600 is brutal)
    Maybe I'll try the 10 minute games there to see what happens. I tend to do better when my opponents have to move as fast as I do.

I tend to avoid anything with the "blitz" label, but maybe a change would be good for me.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 22:30

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard membere4e5f4d5
    Falkbeer
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 22:35
    @paul-leggett said
    Maybe I'll try the 10 minute games there to see what happens. I tend to do better when my opponents have to move as fast as I do.

I tend to avoid anything with the "blitz" label, but maybe a change would be good for me.
    Well I just lost 50 points playing drunk.
    1750 now but my opponent average is still above 1800.
    I KNOW you are better than me.
    It must be a mental block or the user interface is bothering you.
  11. Standard membere4e5f4d5
    Falkbeer
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 22:36
    @Duchess64

...said the Queen Bee who doesn't play 🙄

Me and you right now!

Bring it! 😡
  12. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 23:36
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    RHP scripture: i,12-13a

Learn yee 'Knight Tour'. Then thou shall see🚬
  13. Standard membere4e5f4d5
    Falkbeer
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 23:54
    Pattern recognition and tactical themes!

The colour of a square is irrelevant because we could actually play without colour on the board.
    The only problem being the bishops.

Pattern recognition and tactical themes!
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Sep '20 00:31
    @e4e5f4d5 said
    Well I just lost 50 points playing drunk.
    1750 now but my opponent average is still above 1800.
    I KNOW you are better than me.
    It must be a mental block or the user interface is bothering you.
    "Better" can be relative when we operate in multiple formats. Even in my club at home here, I and several of my friends are approximately the same rating, but our wins and losses vs each other vary widely from person to person.

Bottom line is that we still gotta make the moves!
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Sep '20 18:18
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I was talking to a friend about this and he mentioned a condition where people can't imagine voices or scenes - there was some name for it I can't remember - I can play concerts in my mind, but struggle with visualization, although if I remember a scene I can picture it quite well but I struggle with simple geometric objects like a chess board. He can't do either and claims to have this, which is frustrating as he's better at chess than I am. Possibly I can train myself to picture the board clearly, maybe working up from 4x4 sectors, but endgames are more of a priority at the moment. What I'm getting at is that I think it's just natural variation in how people's brains are wired.

Regarding the notation, being able to picture the board and being able to map that to the notation are slightly different things, there's two problems here. However, the particular problem of which colour g1 and f2 are, without looking at the board, doesn't require any visualisation skills at all, h1 is white so g1 must be black as must f2, e8 is the black king's square and is therefore white so e6 is as well. But I'm not using visualization here, I'm using logic and a little chess knowledge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree