1. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 06:34
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Actually that is an ELO rating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

And no playing Chessmaster personalities is not useful in the slightest. They do not play like humans any more than the Fritz ones do.
    When I said that about the ELO I meant that the games were not vs GMs. English is not an exact science. The thing I said about ChessMaster's personalities was about the fun factor that it is to me. I said that a dumbed down Fritz was not as fun to me. I said nothing about training or usefulness. ChessMaster is not targeting Masters and or GMs for sales. I found a USCF coach online one time that agreed to play ChessMaster 7000. He lost to ChessMaster. He asked me if a person was playing and not a program. ChessMaster is not that weak a program in a timed game. I am sure that ChessMaster 10 can beat a GM in a over the board game. I do not know if ChessMaster 10 will do so well with correspondence games. I make these statements with the thought that the games are not played with antiprogram tactics.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 06:50
    Originally posted by gambit3
    When I said that about the ELO I meant that the games were not vs GMs. English is not an exact science.
    No it's not. But what you said was wrong. It wasn't misunderstood it was wrong.

Read the wikipedia page and you'll see. The ELO rating system is a way of rating the performance of players of a two player game. You can have ELO ratings for things other than Chess. USCF, FIDE, FICS, ICC, ICCF ratings are all ELO ratings. It doesn't matter if you are playing against GMs or not the rating is still an ELO rating.

And as for your playing comments, if you are using your engine to play against only you are missing out on 90% of the use of the engine. Use it for analysis. If you do so you'll see that Fritz, Shredder, Hiarcs etc. blow Chessmaster out of the water.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 10:50
    quit being such a jerk xanthos
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 11:10
    Originally posted by lebowski
    quit being such a jerk xanthos
    Quit being a racist Dodger.
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 15:26
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    No it's not. But what you said was wrong. It wasn't misunderstood it was wrong.

Read the wikipedia page and you'll see. The ELO rating system is a way of rating the performance of players of a two player game. You can have ELO ratings for things other than Chess. USCF, FIDE, FICS, ICC, ICCF ratings are all ELO ratings. It doesn't matter if you are playi ...[text shortened]... f you do so you'll see that Fritz, Shredder, Hiarcs etc. blow Chessmaster out of the water.
    Perhaps I need to try to be a bit more accurate. That program would not be so highly rated if the games were not all program vs program games. A GM may play a type of game that the program would not play so well against. The rateing it has is not its true rated strength as its opponents play the same basic type of game. Some GMs style of play may more then match well vs that program. I meant that its rated strength is maybe over rated and that its true ELO rateing is not that high when it is playing high level players and not programs. P.S. If you have been reading my posts you should know that I do not study or analyze my games. I just try to play as strong a game as I can.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 19:241 edit
    Don't waste your time explaining yourself to xanthos or being polite, she's a witch. My mental image of her: 20-something, at least two stone overweight, needs electrolysis on her upper lip, never had a boyfriend, wears frumpy bargain basement clothes and no makeup because fashion is sooooo phony, and is a liberal arts major that's been in college 5 years without completing her second year requirements.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree