1. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 07:04
    Well Sort Of hehe

I was messing around with old video games and saw my Chessmaster for Playstation 1.

Being a sentimental old fool, I had to see if my old menace could still give me the beating it used to so frequently years ago.

Who but a chess geek would go to the trouble of buying a video game that just plays chess? 🙂

I took the white pieces and actually used a real board and pieces.

This is the highest level of this particular version, and I had it set on computer matches human time (a slight handicap for sure).
    I took around 15 minutes for the entire game.

Even so, it is one pretty amazing game (full of mistakes).

I began kicking myself after 33.Qh5 ??. I felt as though 33.Rxg6+ wasn't correct for some reason. I think 33.Nh4 worked.

51.cxd3 was better too.

This was a really fun and super comlicated game.

The funny thing is it took 15 minutes to play and could take weeks to analyze properly. I really wouldn't want to annotate this one.
  2. Standard memberLordofADown
    King of all Hills
    Connecticut
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 08:37
    Congratulations! I had the Chessmaster for Windows back in the day, I only faced him once... it was just too embarassing to try again.
  3. Joined
    29 May '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 08:38
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Well Sort Of hehe

I was messing around with old video games and saw my Chessmaster for Playstation 1.

Being a sentimental old fool, I had to see if my old menace could still give me the beating it used to so frequently years ago.

Who but a chess geek would go to the trouble of buying a video game that just plays chess? 🙂

I took th ...[text shortened]... ld take weeks to analyze properly. I really wouldn't want to annotate this one.
    Wait... Playstation 1?!?
  4. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 09:04
    Originally posted by moteutsch
    Wait... Playstation 1?!?
    Yeah, I'm an old timer.
    I played (my brothers) Atari , Nintendo (1), Game Boy (1),Sega Genesis,Super Nes,Sega Game Gear,Atari Linx,Playstation 1,Sega Saturn,Nintendo 64,and years later Playstations 2 and 3.
    We used to have a real Pinball machine and Pac Man machine too !
    I was quite the video gamer.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 14:01
    I have Chessmaster on my phone; it's not much stronger than the playstation 1 version. I beat it regularly on its highest level when I first got it, and I hardly ever play it now. Chessmaster on a PC is a different animal, as it is better than most carbon life forms.
  6. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 15:421 edit
    I also had Chessmaster for the playstation 1. If I remember correctly they released a few versions for that console. Believe it or not Chessmaster was probably the best chess program for playstation. I had one called Kasparov Chess and it was truly awful. It didn’t have a opening book and fell for mate in 1 even at the highest settings.

Speaking of old chess programs, I gotta download an emulator so I can play the Spectrum version of Battlechess. 😀
  7. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 18:39
    Any comments on the actual chess game?

I don't think I've ever had two queens vs queen, rook, and bishop before. Ever !!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree