1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    12 Nov '08 18:45
    The idea of book study does not thrill me most of the time, but this happens to almost all chess players. I was going through my old Chess Life magazines from the 80's. Boris Spassky was quoted as saying "Studying endgames is like quitting smoking, it's a smart idea, but not very enjoyable" I guess even Grandmasters are human in this regard too. Now, back to my book...
    😕
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    13 Nov '08 18:37
    Originally posted by bill718
    The idea of book study does not thrill me most of the time, but this happens to almost all chess players. I was going through my old Chess Life magazines from the 80's. Boris Spassky was quoted as saying "Studying endgames is like quitting smoking, it's a smart idea, but not very enjoyable" I guess even Grandmasters are human in this regard too. Now, back to my book...
    😕
    I thought so too. But when you take some seriously good organized book, like Silman's Endgame manual the joy and fun of grasping the knowledge from every single chapter is immensly big.

Good side of the endgames is that they are pretty exact so if you learn them the right way you can feel the progress pretty concrete, unlike some seemingly abstract middlegame strategic concepts when in actual game you don't know whenever you did id right or wrong way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree