1. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 23:30
    I offered this fella a draw (he is a giant in comparison to me, so a draw would have been a victory) as his only move seemed to be repetition. He refused the draw and blundered into mate. I've never seen the like. It's a complete mystery, especially as he's a strong player... he battered me in the other game.

I was going to ask him if he was pissed or something but I didn't want to sound facetious and he was probably steaming.

(I offered the draw on 18.Nd5, my penultimate move)

Game 8186805
  2. gumtree
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 23:36
    Originally posted by witchfyndergeneral
    I offered this fella a draw (he is a giant in comparison to me, so a draw would have been a victory) as his only move seemed to be repetition. He refused the draw and blundered into mate. I've never seen the like. It's a complete mystery, especially as he's a strong player... he battered me in the other game.

I was going to ask him if he was pi ...[text shortened]... bably steaming.

Game 8186805
    I think I would have sent him one last in game message: "Now I don't think you wanted to do that!"
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 02:09

Game 8186805
    This will no doubt happen to you one day if you play long enough, so instead of calling attention to this situation, it might be wise to simply move on.
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 02:17

Game 8186805
    Why would you offer a draw when you were so far ahead?
  5. SubscriberSmookiePonline
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 05:29
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Why would you offer a draw when you were so far ahead?
    So far ahead?? White's position is arguably better, but 2 pawns down is not ahead.

I've just moved like normal sometimes not even noticing a draw offer. That's possible. Also too maybe the other player underestimated the threat.

"Giants" as you say make mistakes like everyone, although usually much less~
  6. e4
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 11:52
    Hi Smookie.

Forget the pawns, White has a raging position simply boiling over
    with tricks.

Here:

Instead of blundering into the mate with 18...e6 if Black plays 18...Re8
    then 19.e5 (have another pawn) is the can opener.

The pawn cannot be taken.
    First fxe5 The Rook Sac Line.

Next dxe5 The Queen Sac Line.

7. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 13:111 edit

I was going to ask him if he was pi bably steaming.

Game 8186805
    Nice game. Also, always glad to see the upset. Thanks for the post.
  8. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 17:25
    Originally posted by bill718
    This will no doubt happen to you one day if you play long enough, so instead of calling attention to this situation, it might be wise to simply move on.
    Posting about a chess game on a chess forum is unwise?

Instead of being snide, maybe you should chill out.
  9. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 17:26
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    So far ahead?? White's position is arguably better, but 2 pawns down is not ahead.

I've just moved like normal sometimes not even noticing a draw offer. That's possible. Also too maybe the other player underestimated the threat.

"Giants" as you say make mistakes like everyone, although usually much less~
    Yeah, I thought much the same myself. Just one of those things. Happens to the best (and worst) of us.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 17:34
    Posting about a chess game on a chess forum is unwise?

Instead of being snide, maybe you should chill out.
    he just meant you'll be on the other side one day. and you will. we all have.
  11. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 17:39
    Originally posted by wormwood
    he just meant you'll be on the other side one day. and you will. we all have.
    I have been, many times.
    I still think he was being unnecessarily snide. We're here to talk about chess for God's sake! :-(
  12. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 17:41
    I'd never have seen those (well, maybe after a few weeks analysis). Thanks for posting GP.
  13. e4
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 22:14
    Hi General.

I think perhaps you are reading too much into Bill's post.

You said;

"I was going to ask him if he was pissed or something but I didn't
    want to sound facetious and he was probably steaming. "

I'm reading Bill as saying it's best not to say or send anything.

I know of no words that can console a player after a loss.
    Silence is best.

(..and beware. Chess is swings and roundabouts, what goes around
    comes around. It's the fun part of the game. 🙂 )
  14. c6
    Moves
    18 Mar '11 16:17
    As a rule, I maintain utter and complete radio silence after winning or swindling a draw, unless the person I'm playing is a familiar opponent who I know can handle a compliment/comment/criticism.

Everything sounds like bragging to the loser, no matter how nicely it's put, which is understandable. There are a lot of braggarts out there, and you can't be certain you aren't dealing with one unless you know your opponent.

When I'm playing lower-rated players on FICS, I'll usually log off for thirty seconds or so after pulling a cheapo, just so the "That's bull, I was about to win on time/position/etc." flames miss their mark.

It's really great when you get a lighthearted opponent that you can tear apart the game with, though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree