1. ...who does not know
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 00:26
    I was hoping I could get some suggestions on where I lost this game. My opponent is a friend and suggested at white move 43, I should have traded pawns with him. I was white. He has good advice, I was just hoping for some more feedback. I seem to be struggling when I get a good advantage. I can't seem to close the deal. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you "Oh grand wizards of chess"!

humbly..........
    Eric

Game 6364695
  2. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 00:56
    Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
    I was hoping I could get some suggestions on where I lost this game. My opponent is a friend and suggested at white move 43, I should have traded pawns with him. I was white. He has good advice, I was just hoping for some more feedback. I seem to be struggling when I get a good advantage. I can't seem to close the deal. Any help would be apprecia ...[text shortened]...

humbly..........
    Eric

Game 6364695
    I want you to look over the game again. There were hanging pieces all over the place. When you lost the thread was when you gave back several pieces.
  3. Joined
    29 May '09
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 01:16
    I was hoping I could get some suggestions on where I lost this game. My opponent is a friend and suggested at white move 43, I should have traded pawns with him. I was white. He has good advice, I was just hoping for some more feedback. I seem to be struggling when I get a good advantage. I can't seem to close the deal. Any help would be apprecia ...[text shortened]...

humbly..........
    Eric

Game 6364695
    3. e4 was better – 3. a3 does nothing for your development.
    4. Any development move is much better Bf4, Nf3, e4, etc.
    6. Na4 or Ne4 look better than moving your Knight back to its starting square.
    8. f4? Not another pawn move. If you want to play a pawn move, it at least should help with development such as 8. e3.

Up to the 14th move, Black has missed chances and allowed White to equalize the game. Later on in the game, White had a huge advantage and allowed Black back in the game.

Jumping ahead to White’s 43rd move. You should have captured the pawn. 43. Rf3 is a horrible move, which places your Rook on an inactive square.
  4. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 01:26

humbly..........
    Eric

Game 6364695
    24. Nxd4.
    the text move leaves the passed d-pawn on the board, and from d4, the knight is threatening e6, and there is no reply. im gonna let the other guy clean up the rest for you...
  5. e4
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 01:261 edit
    I'm afraid there were a lot more mistakes made in this game,
    by both sides a long time before move 43.

Black should have played Ne3 instead of that silly Qh4+

At one stage White was winning easily - on move 25 White could
    have played Rxe6 and Nxg4 going two pieces up.

Try to get all you pieces working together to achieve one aim.

This is a bad game to explain - it has no plan running through it,
    just a series of short tactcial skirmishes between a few pieces whilst
    the rest of the pieces looked on waiting for their turn.

Get your boys all singing from the same scoresheet and if you can,
    shy away from putting your pieces on unprotected squares.
  6. ...who does not know
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 01:551 edit
    Thanks everyone. You are right, my gameplan isn't that sturdy. I'm really not sure what I want to do? Other than the obvious, mate the king. That's why I ask for the advice. I have a couple of basic ideas for openings and them I'm trying to put something together. I don't really know how to manipulate the board. i would like to get all of my pieces singing together but have a lot to learn yet I think. I do really appreciate all of the input. I try to put it to use.
    gratefully,
    Eric

p.s.
    Could I get a clear definition on "development move" please?
  7. e4
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 02:10
    Regarding development advice - this site is excellent.

Here is their development advice page. But it's worthwhile browsing
    the whole site.

http://www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/Openings/10openrules.html
  8. ...who does not know
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 03:031 edit
    Thanks Greenpawn,
    I'll check out the site more. I read the page you posted. Interesting, I didn't know you shouldn't trade pieces early? How do you know when is a good time to trade? As white, before one moves e4.😉 Are you thinking, I'm gonna set up attacking here, or here. Or do you just move out pieces until your good and ready?😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree