1. Joined
    12 Jul '04
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 21:26
    When I am in a bad position... I don't know, it is just that I somehow believe that if I take longer I will be able to hold the position and eventually draw...
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 21:36
    Originally posted by Alopinto
    When I am in a bad position... I don't know, it is just that I somehow believe that if I take longer I will be able to hold the position and eventually draw...
    Good for you 😛
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 23:171 edit
    Take longer when your position isn't bad and you'll end up in bad positions less often. This assumes of course you are playing against comparable rated opponents!
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 13:02
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Take longer when your position isn't bad and you'll end up in bad positions less often. This assumes of course you are playing against comparable rated opponents!
    I tend to play higher rated opponents to learn from them but still, bad positions require thinking and stamina and no matter how hard I try I end un in situations like this:

Sure... It is the Mikenas variation of the English! But I never intended to go there so, now I am in the middle of playing an opening I do not know and that is not part of my repertoire! What's the big deal? Having to think how to avoid ending up in a bind...
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 14:30
    I'd think that 24 hours would be enough time to figure out what you want to do here.

I'd think anytime you play Nf6 and e6 you are asking to have white cram his e pawn right down your throat.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 20:35
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I'd think that 24 hours would be enough time to figure out what you want to do here.

I'd think anytime you play Nf6 and e6 you are asking to have white cram his e pawn right down your throat.
    Thank you for telling me! 😀 That was my learning experience with the hideous English opening (I am still trying to figure out what to do about it)
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 20:42
    Thank you for telling me! 😀 That was my learning experience with the hideous English opening (I am still trying to figure out what to do about it)
    1.c4 c5!
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 20:44
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    1.c4 c5!
    Thanks for the recommendation. The symmetrical is a good answer. I am concerned about the English endgame...
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 20:46
    Thanks for the recommendation. The symmetrical is a good answer. I am concerned about the English endgame...
    I think Nunn plays 1...c5 in reply to 1.c4 quite a bit so you can probably dig up some of his games to study on it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree