1. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 22:33
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    robert bryne retired as editor of the NYTimes' chess column recently.
    My wife would say we're talking like a couple of old geezers...remembering events & people nobody knows or cares about.
  2. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 18:341 edit
    Speaking of old publications (getting off topic a bit), you will never beleive what I stumbled across in a used book store some years ago. I was looking for chess literature, and I found two books. An original by Rubenstien, AND the 1936 USCF yearbook, which included all the games from the U.S. Open that year. Among the games were some great one's from lifetime rivals Fine and Reshevsky.

It was like I stumbled across the Dead Sea Scrolls lol.

EDIT: it may have been 1939 now that I think of it. Whichever year, it was the first year that USCF was put together I think.
  3. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 19:20
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    Speaking of old publications (getting off topic a bit), you will never beleive what I stumbled across in a used book store some years ago. I was looking for chess literature, and I found two books. An original by Rubenstien, AND the 1936 USCF yearbook, which included all the games from the U.S. Open that year. Among the games were some great one's ...[text shortened]... that I think of it. Whichever year, it was the first year that USCF was put together I think.
    Oldest I came across was a 1941 issue of American Chess Bulletin featuring all the games from the match Reshevsky-Horowitz annotated by Santasiere. With so many GM’s today, most people don’t realize it used to be they were not people you actually saw, you just read about them. The USCF used to publish ratings with masters AND experts listed separately because there were so few of them. I met Euwe (my dad took me to watch a simul he gave and I got his autograph) and Rossolimo (at his chess studio in New York City) once, but in 1975 the US Champ was held near my home and I got to meet all the greats of the day. Reshevsky, Bisguier, Robert Byrne, Benko, Browne, Lombardy, etc. Got to attend every round and it was a great experience. Bisguier, Lombardy and Edmar Mednis were very personable. Reshevsky was friendly enough, too, if a little stand-offish. Walter Browne was a little odd, though…he acted like a nervous klutz all the time. Some years back the US Champ. was played in Cambridge Springs PA and the great Tony Miles was playing. There were almost no spectators and the players had to analyze finished games in the hotel lobby. I was the only one sitting in on the post mortem with Miles and his opponent. He was a very modest and friendly person.

Didn’t mean to prattle on so, but you got me reminiscing.
  4. Maryland, US
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 16:19
    Originally posted by masscat
    My wife would say we're talking like a couple of old geezers...remembering events & people nobody knows or cares about.
    Oh everybody knows Robert Byrne, I do at least. He's right there with Reshevsky and Evans in my mind.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree