1. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    23 May '09 19:49
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I just got done reading the Wikipedia story on Bobby Fischer.

He seemed stubborn, paranoid and emotional. Can you imagine what he could have accomlished if he didn't boycott so much and take so much time off from chess? It's a shame.

But I also think the US was wrong to issue an arrest warrant simply for playing in a country they didn't like ...[text shortened]... greatest of all time, but I think he had the potential to be inarguably the greatest.
    Yeh, good point.

If he continued after winning the world championship and beat Karpov, he might of laid claim to the title of greatest of all time. But unfortunately, he didn’t try. So that honour(in my opinion) must go to Kasparov.
  2. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    23 May '09 20:49
    Question. Who is the most modern player to get an opening named after them?
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 May '09 21:13
    Perhaps Karl Robatsch? Though his opening (1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7) is always called the Modern Defence nowadays.
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    23 May '09 21:201 edit
    Irina Krush!
  5. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 May '09 21:20
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    Michael Adams?
    Does an opening variation count?
  6. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 May '09 21:29
    Originally posted by coquette
    Irina Krush!
    Which opening is named after Krush?
  7. e4
    Moves
    23 May '09 21:35
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    That's a good question.

I'd guess it was Benko.

(Elizabeth Windsor.............The Queen's Gambit) 🙂
  8. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    24 May '09 00:09
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    That's a good question.

I'd guess it was Benko.

(Elizabeth Windsor.............The Queen's Gambit) 🙂
    At least call her Mrs. And I hope you stood up when you posted that. Oh, and put a doily on the TV, just encase. 😠
  9. Joined
    17 Mar '08
    Moves
    24 May '09 01:12
    I'd say svechnikov
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 May '09 02:04
    Robbie did. The dunce attack to the Latvian gambit. 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5 3.Nc3 😛
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '09 02:16
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Robbie did. The dunce attack to the Latvian gambit. 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5 3.Nc3 😛
    Lol, im in training my friend, inspired by Macpo and his new aesthetic approach, tactics are no longer my thing, i play chess now for nothing but the sheer beauty, unparalleled aesthetic appeal and style! that's right my friend, the art of style! and whence I am done, im coming to getcha! you may run, but you cannot hide! 🙂
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 May '09 02:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Lol, im in training my friend, inspired by Macpo and his new aesthetic approach, tactics are no longer my thing, i play chess now for nothing but the sheer beauty, unparalleled aesthetic appeal and style! that's right my friend, the art of style! and whence I am done, im coming to getcha! you may run, but you cannot hide! 🙂
    Well you don't find combinations breathtaking then? In that case, I will just play lines where the "most aesthetically pleasing" lines are losing 😛
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '09 10:19
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Well you don't find combinations breathtaking then? In that case, I will just play lines where the "most aesthetically pleasing" lines are losing 😛
    its the art of style my good man, you may trawl the worlds chess books, complete a zillion tactical exercises, book up on your favourite opening, but it will be in vain, for style cannot be taught, it needs to be developed from within, every move like a brush stroke on a canvas, meaningless on its own, but part of a whole of which the constituent parts reveal depth and beauty, we are not content to merely mimic nature, oh no! with reference to mundane materialistic combination's! we have minds and we shall impose our very own thoughts upon nature itself, we shall develop the art of style my friend, the art of style! 🙂
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 May '09 11:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    its the art of style my good man, you may trawl the worlds chess books, complete a zillion tactical exercises, book up on your favourite opening, but it will be in vain, for style cannot be taught, it needs to be developed from within, every move like a brush stroke on a canvas, meaningless on its own, but part of a whole of which the constituent par ...[text shortened]... thoughts upon nature itself, we shall develop the art of style my friend, the art of style! 🙂
    It won't be long before you're off on your next wacky idea and still low 1600s while I practice consistently with proven methods. :p
  15. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    24 May '09 11:14
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Useless Chess fact No1.

The first newspaper chess column was in the [b]Liverpool Mercury

July 9th. 1813.[/b]
    I collect old, rare coins. I know there's a market for old magazines and newspapers but I could not find that issue for sale anywhere online. I even dug through archived auctions.

If it's affordable and I can find one I'm going to buy it. Scanning and posting the vary first chess column would make an awesome thread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree