Improving With Tactics

Improving With Tactics

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e4

Moves
04 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
this is interesting Paul, how does one ,'study', tactics, surely it is just a matter of doing zillions of tactical exercises, is it not? fingers crossed, hopefully i am wrong!
That's it I'm afraid.

You must put the time in off the board to get the full enjoyment
on the board.

But I do know a 100% way that you can get a grade of 2000 in two weeks.

All you have to do my dear Robbie, is ask me.

MR

Moves
04 Nov 08

Originally posted by streetfighter
'Chess Combination as a Fine Art' by Golcz and Keres (based on the writings of Kurt Richter) is the most beautiful little collection of tactics I have ever seen.

I take this book everywhere I go and never tire of it (and believe me, I tire of most things quicker than a kid with ADD.

I have an ancient copy in a felt cover and have never seen it r ...[text shortened]... it, so if anyone has any info on it please let me know.

Oh, and if you see a copy-BUY IT!
It seems there was a 1989 softcover Crowood Press reprint of the book. Some of the reprints popped up in my internet search. BTW, what elo do you think a reader would have to be at to appreciate the book?

t

Moves
04 Nov 08

Originally posted by greenpawn34
That's it I'm afraid.

You must put the time in off the board to get the full enjoyment
on the board.

But I do know a 100% way that you can get a grade of 2000 in two weeks.

All you have to do my dear Robbie, is ask me.
Robbie, you should ask him. I did a while back and I will never regret it.

s

Moves
04 Nov 08

I have the Laszlo Polgar book that was mentioned before. A monstrous volume that I got for a cool $20. I've had it for over a year and am not even halfway through with the mate in two - white to move section. They also have a huge collection of famous games/miniatures, and different combinations. It's easily over 1000 pages. Well worth it in my eyes.

t

Moves
04 Nov 08

Originally posted by stockton1984
I have the Laszlo Polgar book that was mentioned before. A monstrous volume that I got for a cool $20. I've had it for over a year and am not even halfway through with the mate in two - white to move section. They also have a huge collection of famous games/miniatures, and different combinations. It's easily over 1000 pages. Well worth it in my eyes.
How mant do you finish each day?

p

Moves
04 Nov 08

Originally posted by stockton1984
You are gonna die when I tell you this. The local outlet store sometimes has chess books. A few years ago, I got a copy of Chess by Polgar for $6. They had like 10 copies but I only needed the one. 🙂

t

Moves
04 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
You are gonna die when I tell you this. The local outlet store sometimes has chess books. A few years ago, I got a copy of Chess by Polgar for $6. They had like 10 copies but I only needed the one. 🙂
You're gonna die when I tell you this.

Some guy at my university handed them out to all members of our club. 😛

FO' FWEEEEE!

p

Moves
04 Nov 08

Originally posted by tomtom232
You're gonna die when I tell you this.

Some guy at my university handed them out to all members of our club. 😛

FO' FWEEEEE!
Argh ... It's true. There IS always a bigger fish out there, in many respects. 🙂