1. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 01:34

The suggested move from http://chess.about.com/library/midgames/blmb1b02.htm is 1...Rg3+ 2.Kh2 Rxg5 and this wins the knight on g5. Is this the best move? What would be wrong with 1. ...Bf5? The bishop is still two moves away from the knight and has a potential fork of the two rooks.

Nevermind I just noticed 2. Nxh3.
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 04:24
    Originally posted by deeploser
    [fen]r3k3/1p1b1p2/8/p1b1P1N1/5p2/P6r/1PP2P2/1RBR2K1 b - - 0 1[/fen]

The suggested move from http://chess.about.com/library/midgames/blmb1b02.htm is 1...Rg3+ 2.Kh2 Rxg5 and this wins the knight on g5. Is this the best move? What would be wrong with 1. ...Bf5? The bishop is still two moves away from the knight and has a potential fork of the two rooks.

Nevermind I just noticed 2. Nxh3.
    This was one of the 1000 puzzle I used for my tactics program.

Forget about 1...Nxh3 for a moment.

With the Rg3+ line you win a knight 3 points.

With the Bf5 line, even if you can win a rook you will lose your bishop in the recapture so basically you get a rook for a bishop, 2 points.

You might also get a pawn so 3 points for both lines but Bf5 is to slow, you have to attack fast and plus why give up the bishop pair?
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 04:26
    Originally posted by RahimK
    This was one of the 1000 puzzle I used for my tactics program.

Forget about 1...Nxh3 for a moment.

With the Rg3+ line you win a knight 3 points.

With the Bf5 line, even if you can win a rook you will lose your bishop in the recapture so basically you get a rook for a bishop, 2 points.

You might also get a pawn so 3 points for both lines but Bf5 is to slow, you have to attack fast and plus why give up the bishop pair?
    Oh God Rahim, don't start with the "this piece equals this many points" crap. You know that you have to consider much more than that to judge a position properly.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 04:40
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Oh God Rahim, don't start with the "this piece equals this many points" crap. You know that you have to consider much more than that to judge a position properly.
    It's an easy way for beginners to understand the value of pieces. Besides in this position, a bishop is worth more then a knight.
  5. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 04:52
    I see what you're saying. In this open game it's more useful for the bishops to be there. As a bonus they are pointed towards the king right?
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 06:03
    Originally posted by deeploser
    I see what you're saying. In this open game it's more useful for the bishops to be there. As a bonus they are pointed towards the king right?
    Right. Black has a light squared bishop and white has nothing to match it's strength.

Imagine how powerful that bishop will be when it's on the a8-h1 diagonal.

The bishop pair is very powerful. Don't give it up for no good reason.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree