1. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 14:23
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    I really don't think Sicilian should be considered hypermodern. Here is my list.

Pure hypermodern:
    Alekine's defense
    King's Indian
    Grunfeld
    Pirc Defense

Somewhat hypermodern:
    Nimzo-indian
    Queen's-indian
    bogo-indian

I'm might of missed some, not thinking too well tonight 😕

They aren't really more difficult than classical openings. At thi ...[text shortened]... lay. I say experiment with the openings and then choose something you are comfotable with.
    Don't forget the other half: white can apply hypermodern principles too, you know.
  2. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 21:00
    Originally posted by TommyC
    It's less obvious where to put your pieces in hypermodern openings - and if you get it wrong, they just trip over each other, and get rolled back by a wave of enemy pawns. This might be the difference you struggle with.
    That makes sense and probably explains the trouble I have. So is the solution 1) to continue to play classical openings until I get much more familiar with chess generally, and then take up the hypermodern openings? Or, 2) go ahead and study the hypermodern openings now, get familiar with the theory and find out just where to place those pieces, and go ahead and play them. No need to wait.
  3. London
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 22:03
    Originally posted by basso
    That makes sense and probably explains the trouble I have. So is the solution 1) to continue to play classical openings until I get much more familiar with chess generally, and then take up the hypermodern openings? Or, 2) go ahead and study the hypermodern openings now, get familiar with the theory and find out just where to place those pieces, and go ahead and play them. No need to wait.
    If I am right - don't focus on the openings, or one type. Focus on getting your pieces logically co-ordinated, whatever the position or type of opening!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree