internet chess club

internet chess club

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
The Rams

Moves
18 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by wormwood
umm... in your firewall? do you know if you have one? are you trying to connect from inside some closed network, which might block everything but port 80 (your browser)?
I guess I have to be the administrator to change firewall options. Under any case, what do you do to let the firewall have it pass

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
18 Mar 07

Originally posted by Ramned
I guess I have to be the administrator to change firewall options. Under any case, what do you do to let the firewall have it pass
I found these tidbits on icc:

Q: I'm on a university network. What can I do?

A: Many universities restrict the amount of network traffic available to students. Some of our members have had greater success connecting to the chess club using port 23 instead of 5000. At the login dialog when connecting, click the more button and change the port number to port 23.

Q: I am on a corporate/business network. What can I do?

A: Many corporate networks use a firewall to secure the company network. Some companies will allow you to access the chess club through the company proxy server. See help firewall for tips configuring Blitzin to work with a firewall. Other companies simply block all access to game related websites. If this is the case, we recommend you simply connect from home instead.

so it appears you need to make sure your network, whatever it is, has ports 5000 or 23 open. 23 is the telnet port, so that's why it might be open even if most others are not.

R
The Rams

Moves
18 Mar 07

Originally posted by wormwood
I found these tidbits on icc:

[i]Q: I'm on a university network. What can I do?

A: Many universities restrict the amount of network traffic available to students. Some of our members have had greater success connecting to the chess club using port 23 instead of 5000. At the login dialog when connecting, click the more button and change the port numb ...[text shortened]... or 23 open. 23 is the telnet port, so that's why it might be open even if most others are not.
"At the login dialogue when connecting, click the more button..."
Don't see that?
How do you change the "ports" ?
Man, I probably sound dumb.