1. Joined
    22 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 01:53
    I am curious about other free internet chess sites and would like to get several URL addresses or links if possible.
    Thank you.
  2. Non-Sub Recs: 0
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 03:29
    Originally posted by Emperor Smokey
    I am curious about other free internet chess sites and would like to get several URL addresses or links if possible.
    Thank you.
    gameknot?
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 03:42
    http://uk.games.yahoo.com (blitz chess, lots of cheaters!!!)

http://chess21.com (blitz again, i like this site )

http://playchess.com (blitz with lots of Grand masters online, big database there as well, great site!!!)

Alternatively you could always write 'play chess' into google 😉
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 07:11
    Alternatively you could always write 'play chess' into google 😉
    [/b]
    Here is a better alternative still......

If you like playing chess at 'Red Hot Pawn', please consider becoming a subscriber. The 'Red Hot Pawn' community depends on subscribers for its continued existence and improvement, and for the nominal subscription fee (less than 60 cents a week if paid annualy), all of the site's features will be available to you.
  5. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 12:09
    Chess21 isn't free. they do have a free beginning period then it shuts down.
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 12:17
    Originally posted by buddy2
    oh really? i didnt know that, i only joined a month ago or so. I noticed that my rating went down, even though i hadn't played any games. It dropped over 100 points even though i hadn't logged on. haven't been back since, RHP has everything i need out of a chess site 😀
  7. Joined
    22 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 18:25
    look at this sites competitiors
  8. Under Cover
    Moves
    17 Apr '05 04:21
    Originally posted by benkoboy
    look at this sites competitiors
    Why?! What a waste of energy, as this is simple the best place to play chess on the internet... and the only site that I would pay for a subscription to!!!

BLR
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    17 Apr '05 11:38
    Originally posted by buddy2
    I've been playing at Chess21 for two years for free, although the site has many features to which free members lack access.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    17 Apr '05 11:43
    Originally posted by BLReid
    Why?! What a waste of energy, as this is simple the best place to play chess on the internet
    http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/reviews.htm has reviews of the best playing sites for blitz and correspondence.

My RHP and ChessWorld reviews are still in the works, but I can say that ChessWorld is the best by far. RHP is certainly an excellent site, and there are many sites that don't even merit a review (yahoo, for example).
  11. Joined
    08 Mar '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 17:05

Chessworld (aka letsplaychess) is better by far? Atleast in terms of
    "free" play I would disagree.

I had completed 20 games on RHP (free registration) before I could complete
    my initial playin game on letsplaychess. Letsplaychess doesn't allow you to
    play rated games unless you are a "member". Their server is really slow...atleast
    most of the times I've had to access it.

RHP on the other hands allowed me to start playing up to 6 games minutes after
    I had registered. The server has always been up with no noticible delays.
    You can play rated games with the free registration. The layout "my games/new games" etc is fantastic, much better than the other sites I've seen.

I'm seriously considering forking out the money for RHP full membership. I really
    haven't seen any other site that comes close (IMHO).

12. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 17:18
    Your right, Wulebgr. I was playing in the VIP section when they cut me off. You can enter as a guest to play for free, although you don't have many privileges.
  13. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 17:21
    I had the same experience KMR. Chessworld acted slowly (maybe it is the server). Gameknot is good for playing. It's a pay site like RHP. The only problem is the forums are a constant source of annoyance. I mentioned something about cats and was thrown off for a month for "off-topic+ discussion. I'm not going to put up with that, especially when i'm paying for the privilege.
  14. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 17:273 edits
    I play my serious chess at Q**** A****.

This site is far too distracting for high-quality games. I suspect a lot of people come here for a laugh.

Edit: Q**** A**** is free.

Edit: Oh, I also play Stanley Random Chess (SRC) at "SchemingMind".
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 17:33
    Originally posted by kmchess

Chessworld (aka letsplaychess) is better by far? Atleast in terms of
    "free" play I would disagree.
    Yes, in terms of free play, ChessWorld is terribly limited. If you want to play for free, try Chessmaniac or Net-Chess. Neither charges a fee, although both accept donations. Net-Chess also lacks the ads that are a constant irritant at RHP and GameKnot.

I'm still a free/guest here at RHP, as well as at GameKnot because ChessWorld offers far more for the price. The quality of play, the size and variety of the boards, and the extras at ChessWorld all beat RHP, although the site can get sluggish at times. Until recently, RHP went down every night as I was making moves or posting tirades. Now, the downtime appears to have moved later. ChessWorld hasn't done that to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree