1. Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 02:21
    Originally posted by amolv06
    It actually relaxes me a bit since I'm expected to lose. In my case, this turns out to be a good thing because I am not as nervous so I spend more time studying the board. When I'm playing someone my own rating I play far more impulsively and make stupider blunders.
    yes, I thought for sure I would lose our game.

I guess I got lucky...
  2. Joined
    28 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 03:06
    I get that way over the board sometimes. 2 weeks ago I traded into a winning endgame and offered a draw to a player rated 300 points higher than me. It was a rook and pawn endgame and I was up a pawn. I had a 3 on 1 queenside majority, so I could pretty much force a protected passed pawn. oh well. next time i'll drive him into the ground.
  3. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 05:30
    Playing a stonger opponent acctually fires me up. When playing someone the same level as me or lower I tend not to focus and relax to much. A stronger rated oppenent forces me to step it up, take and things more serously.
  4. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 16:30
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    Do you feel when you play a game against someone 400 points higher than you intimidated at all? or does it push you to try harder against them?
    I feel more intimidated by 1900s than 2000+ players for some reason.
  5. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 16:51
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    I keep losing to Korch (User 124624) and I want to keep trying to beat him. 😠
    Bah, Korch is a wuss, I see loads of uber better moves in his games that he misses, 🙂

I never feel intimidated, I feel slightly less concerned when I play someone much higher rated as many have said because you expect the loss, I do get a little nervous about my moves when someone of a much lower rating is wiping the floor with me though but not really intimidated
  6. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 17:36
    I usually try not to think about my opponents rating and just play my best every time and assume that my opponent will do the same.
  7. Richmond Hill
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 20:43
    If someone's that much higher than I am, as many people have already pointed out themselves, I feel more relaxed. I also watch out to make sure I don't try any stupid tricks or anything like that, but instead try to play a little more positional, paying attention to pawn structures and the like. I guess this is probably something I should do anyways.
  8. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '07 07:081 edit
    I think facing higher rated players helps me, on here especially as i can research my moves in books and databases and really study a position in depth (which isnt possible over the board).
    The real danger is facing players much lower than you, i ashamed to say i have pretty much dismissed an opponant before and lost to someone well below my level by simply not paying atention and making moves witth about 30 secs observation (a warning to you all and more fool me). I ended up playing so badly i would have been forced to play an enforced draw by repetition instead since i was so impressed i gave the guy the win and learnt a very valueable lesson early on about play on rhp.
  9. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '07 07:59
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    I keep losing to Korch (User 124624)......
    ..and there is a simple explanation for that. PM me for some enlightenment.

skeeter

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree