1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 00:50
    i played a game (not virtual) recently and was black... at the start of the game my opponent said i must move first.... i explained to him as white he must and he said he doesnt, as white he can choose to let black go first... i can't find this in the rules anywhere, can someone tell me if this is allowed?

just for the record, i did move first and i beat him, so maybe he wont be doing that again anyway!
  2. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 00:53
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    i played a game (not virtual) recently and was black... at the start of the game my opponent said i must move first.... i explained to him as white he must and he said he doesnt, as white he can choose to let black go first... i can't find this in the rules anywhere, can someone tell me if this is allowed?

just for the record, i did move first and i beat him, so maybe he wont be doing that again anyway!
    That just brightened my day, thanks 🙂

Anyway, your friend's wrong.
  3. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 00:57
    Originally posted by anthias
    That just brightened my day, thanks 🙂

Anyway, your friend's wrong.
    yeah, its been hundereds of years since they could choose...white always goes first now..
  4. Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 01:53
    hahaha. thats funny
  5. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 02:081 edit
    Originally posted by eatmybishop

That's funny, but next time I'd insist that he follow the rules. I once saw an expert castle long through check in an OTB tournament, but it didn't work out well for him cause he was getting checkmated, so he simply stopped the clock, got the TD and said, "There's been an illegal move made here".

At that point the TD went over the game, saw the illegal move and set the board back up to the position before the illegal move had been made. Then the expert made a different move and won the game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree