1. Joined
    13 Jul '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 17:52
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/view.php?tid=3568

This tournament is a "hardcore". I won't pretend to be unbiased, cos I'm not 😀 2 of my clan members (who are close to me) are involved.

But Blasek (an extemely able player), who didn't play for a couple of weeks apart from a flurry at the beginning, was 2 hours from being timed out in one game, and under 2 days in others. He stuck up his vacation flag at the last minute (when he was about to be timed out in one game), but is still playing.

My questions....

Is the use of a vacation flag always legitimate?

Should someone who enters a "hardcore" tournament (despite their ability) be required to play within the time limits?

Thanking you kindly 🙂 ( don't be too mean to me)
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 17:57
    Originally posted by Cyberdazzle
    Is the use of a vacation flag always legitimate?
    of course. this is correspondence chess, not realtime chess. people won't be able (nor required) to be online 365 days every year.
  3. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 17:57

This tournament is a "hardcore". I won't pretend to be unbiased, cos I'm not 😀 2 of my clan members (who are close to me) are involved.

But Blasek (an extemely able player), who didn't play for a couple of weeks apart from a flurry at the beginning, was 2 hours from being timed out in one ga ...[text shortened]... red to play within the time limits?

he's playing within the rules... therefore it's fine.
  4. Joined
    13 Jul '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 18:00
    Originally posted by wormwood
    of course. this is correspondence chess, not realtime chess. people won't be able (nor required) to be online 365 days every year.
    I get that! I just wondered what people thought about the "hardcore" element.
  5. Joined
    13 Jul '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 18:02
    Originally posted by pineapple42
    he's playing within the rules... therefore it's fine.
    I would never suggest he wasn't playing within the rules. He clearly is! I just wondered about the spirit of the "hardcore" element.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 18:09
    I would never suggest he wasn't playing within the rules. He clearly is! I just wondered about the spirit of the "hardcore" element.
    it's just a name. doesn't mean anything...
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 18:12

But Blasek (an extemely able player), who didn't play for a couple of weeks apart from a flurry at the beginning, was 2 hours from being timed out in one ga ...[text shortened]... red to play within the time limits?

The users here by a large majority voted for a vacation flag that banned any timeouts while it was up. They did not insist that the player not make any moves during the vacation period.

Personally, I think it was a mistake, but you can't reasonably criticize someone for doing exactly what the majority decided to allow.
  8. Joined
    13 Jul '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 18:14
    Originally posted by wormwood
    it's just a name. doesn't mean anything...
    Oh. Fair enough, so really good players can have as long as their vacation flags allow on top of their normal allownace. An extra advantage that is clearly necessary 🙂
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 18:20
    Oh. Fair enough, so really good players can have as long as their vacation flags allow on top of their normal allownace. An extra advantage that is clearly necessary 🙂
    It does make the description false advertising though:

Only for the hardcore and vacation phobic.
  10. Joined
    13 Jul '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 18:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It does make the description false advertising though:

Only for the hardcore and [b]vacation phobic
    .[/b]
    True, that is why I asked the question..🙂...although I guess I already knew the answer

I knew it was completely within the rules, it goes both ways..

someone who is losing can use the time allowance to time someone out...and someone who is being timed out can stick their vacation flag up 🙂

I guess I was making an analogy with blitz in my own mind. For instance, the vacation flag is really useful for when you are away and may miss a move in clan games or one move a day games.

Playing a hardcore seemed to me to be more like blitz. When you are away the timebank continues to run. And whatever your ability the time is important to the ideology of the game.

Whatever!
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 19:00
    True, that is why I asked the question..🙂...although I guess I already knew the answer

I knew it was completely within the rules, it goes both ways..

someone who is losing can use the time allowance to time someone out...and someone who is being timed out can stick their vacation flag up 🙂

I guess I was making an analogy with blitz in my own m ...[text shortened]... run. And whatever your ability the time is important to the ideology of the game.

Whatever!
    I wonder: can someone on vacation time someone else out?
  12. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 19:19

Just stop moving in that game and put up your vacation flag. His vacation will run out first, then you can time him out😛
  13. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 10:43
    Indiscriminate use of the vacation flag will surely come back and bite you when your actual vacation comes round.
  14. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 17:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I wonder: can someone on vacation time someone else out?
    Yes.
  15. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 18:03
    Maybe Russ could make a few "no vacation allowed" tournaments for those who despise it so... personally I dont care about people using their vacation, I had to when I moved and still do not have my own internet connection, I threw up some vacation time and still played when I could during this time via other peoples houses etc, I needed to still be on vacation to protect myself until I got more frequent internet use, I dont think that this can be considered unfair although I am sure not everyone will agree 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree