1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 15:59

I defended my knight with Rc1 because I did not see a way of defending the knight on c3 as well as the pawn on c4.

My opponent was only going after the knight so I escaped losing a pawn, at least as far as I could see. What did I do wrong where I opened up this weakness?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 19:42
    @eladar said
    [pgn]1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nb1c3 e6 4. Ng1f3 b6 5. Bc1g5 Bf8e7 6. Bg5xe7 Qd8xe7 7. e3 Ng8f6 8. Bf1d3 Bc8a6 9. b3 Qe7b4 [/pgn]

I defended my knight with Rc1 because I did not see a way of defending the knight on c3 as well as the pawn on c4.

My opponent was only going after the knight so I escaped losing a pawn, at least as far as I could see. What did I do wrong where I opened up this weakness?
    9.b3 looks bad to me. That made your N loose.

If nothing else, at least 9.cd doesn't lose material.
  3. Joined
    04 Jun '19
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 19:46
    The problem was 1.d4

Play 1.e4

Problem solved 😉
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 20:17
    @bigdoggproblem said

So just trade bishops is the best out.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 20:39
    @eladar said
    So just trade bishops is the best out.
    Well, 9.Qe2 might be a bit better, because that makes black remove his pawn from d5 to trade Bishops, rather than white giving up the d5 square, which 9.cxd5 does.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 23:34
    @practical said
    The problem was 1.d4

Play 1.e4

Problem solved 😉
    Pick your poison.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 23:361 edit
    @bigdoggproblem said

Still trading bishops just with the queen more centralized.

I think the lesson is to make sure you do not leave your pieces hanging. Before making a move make sure you remember to see what is no longer being protected by what you are moving.

My opponent lost material for that very reason after retreating his queen to d6 and developing his knight to d7.
  8. e4
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 01:211 edit

White has done nothing wrong. Black's opening moves appear false.
    (that is experience talking after years of busting slack opening play both here
    and OTB. 300+ of my wins with both colours on here have come under 20 moves.)

If your opponent is pawn hunting in the opening with a Queen look
    for ways to give up the pawn. In fact the game demands you give up that pawn

I never hesitate to shed a pawn or even a piece if I think I will get active play for it.
    Stop looking one move ahead and counting pawns. Count tempo, activity and look
    deeper, keep looking till you have squeezed the position dry, that means when the
    tactics tin is empty and you are sure you have ticked off all the boxes with a trick in them.

You played 10.Rc1. an excellent move. I would have done the same.

And then I'd go back and have a sniff about looking for other moves.
    Often I'd go on fantasy trips. Fantasy trips are good. (well I enjoy them).
    Sometimes hidden at first glance ideas appear and the seeds of a deep trap sown.

And I would spend that much time on a position till I'm sure I've covered everything.

If I'm really into it then game goes to my full set. Those games I really do enjoy.
    There is nothing quite like working out and setting a deep trap and waiting for
    the reply. I also use the 'Deep Mode' conditional moves. My replies are then instant
    and sometimes it has been obvious my opponent has given a very quick reply.
    (also the thought that whilst I'm asleep someone, somewhere is getting automatically
    snared in one of my pitfalls or is getting auto- mated appeals greatly to me. )

Sometimes I go sac-happy and I lose. Who cares? I win a lot more than I lose.
    And yes they are often (always) against the lower rated players here .
    But I enjoy playing these lads, they are genuine and I hope and like to think they have
    learned something. I'm still learning things as well, it's a two way thing.

Now get out there, stop worrying a mere tempo wasting pawn and attack these people.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 02:191 edit
    @greenpawn34

Wow, just wow.

Five years ago when you said this kind of stuff I thought no way could I ever do that. Amazed and awe thinking yeah but I could never predict what people do.

Now I do see what people will do from time to time. I think with some effort I can do some of what you do.

I lost a game today trying to use a similar pawn move as your a3 to win a queen. Ended up losing a rook. I will get better at it.

I wish I knew how to cut to the chase showing the last few moves.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 04:011 edit
    Ha! Figured it out!

In bed trying to visualize all this stuff and second guessing what pieces are covering what, so came back to look at the way it plays out. Maybe I can go to sleep now.
  11. e4
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 12:381 edit
    I do what I do and get away with it because the players here move fast
    (I'm guilty of that as well but not as often as my opponents) also they
    have a huge game load which encourages them to move even faster.

In that last game, here with Black to play. White has played 10.0-0-0.

I would have moved quick here and played 10...b5 within seconds.
    Any attack on a King here, sound or unsound is usually a win. 10....b5 kicks it off.

And from the other side of the same game. (White to play).

White played 15.Qc3. Not a clever idea to line up your King and Queen
    like this when Black will have Rc8 within one move. 15.g4 looks good.

I can see a Queen winning idea. Here Black to play.

The e4 pawn is bait you played 20...Qc5 intending to answer Qxe4 which covers c2 with Ba2+.

Here (Black to play)

You played 23...e3 Good. opening the Bf5 diagonal. I would have done that.
    Open diagonals are more than pawns, especially a pawn that needs piece protection.

But here (Black to play)

You forgot why you played 23...e3. The open diagonal. You now played 27....Bh7?
    How about 27...Rc8. Always look for a reason not to defend or retreat a piece.

For instance In that position after 27...Rc8 you would need to consider White
    playing 28.Rxf5 Rxc3 29.bxc3 When White has a Rook on the f-file and a light
    square Bishop. So f7 will fall. But a Queen v B & R with all those loose White
    pawns and an exposed King means you can chomp a few pawns then look
    for a way to sac the Queen for the R & B. Black should win that line.

Then here. Another attempt to win a Queen.

You played 29...Rc8 with the threat of b5 . You have just put a piece on an
    unprotected square with a check in the position (I did that recently ).

White saw through your trap and played 30.b3 so when Black takes on f7 it is not a check.
    You then played 30...b5 and it was you who had walked into a trap.

Me - docjan RHP 2019

12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 23:11
    @greenpawn34

I need to revisit that game everyday until I learn to consider what my opponent might do equally as well that I consider what I might do. The emphasis being what am I leaving wide open to be exploited.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree