1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 May '18 03:304 edits
    This is a rather trivial question, but I'd appreciate some feedback. I have a fair quality wooden set with a vinyl roll up board. It's served me well over the last 3 decades, but once in awhile I fantasize about owning a really nice one such as those in the 2:00 and 3:30 mark of this youtube video. I simply can't justify spending the money when my present set works nicely. So, I'm wondering: Do you own the set you've always wanted, or did you settle for something less, then wonder if you made the right choice? 😕

YouTube&t=210s
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    04 May '18 07:29
    Originally posted by @mchill
    This is a rather trivial question, but I'd appreciate some feedback. I have a fair quality wooden set with a vinyl roll up board. It's served me well over the last 3 decades, but once in awhile I fantasize about owning a really nice one such as those in the 2:00 and 3:30 mark of this youtube video. I simply can't justify spending the money when my present se ...[text shortened]... onder if you made the right choice? 😕

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdjmha_XmoA&t=210s
    I have a Rosewood/Boxwood set with a 4.5 inch king. It looks like a Jacques of London design, but it came from India. It came in a mahogany box. All for $100 (including shipping from Anritsar, India). I bought it in 2003. It is the set I always wanted and I am most pleased with it.
  3. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    04 May '18 16:371 edit
    That does sound nice, Caissa.

I have 5 sets myself, one only a recent addition, a wooden magnetic set on a fold-up board,
    bought for £37 in a shop on the famous 'Shambles' in York.

In fact, this is it:
    http://www.davidwestnedge.com/autoframehdg.asp?id=pcg+007+052

As it says, it comes in a green carrying pouch and the magnets are very good...
    can hold the thing upside down and the pieces stay put 🙂

EDIT: Just noticed the same link works for multiple pages for some reason,
    strange site, my set is the 7" magnetic set, King 1.25"
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 May '18 18:36
    Originally posted by @mchill
    This is a rather trivial question, but I'd appreciate some feedback. I have a fair quality wooden set with a vinyl roll up board. It's served me well over the last 3 decades, but once in awhile I fantasize about owning a really nice one such as those in the 2:00 and 3:30 mark of this youtube video. I simply can't justify spending the money when my present se ...[text shortened]... onder if you made the right choice? 😕

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdjmha_XmoA&t=210s
    I have two really nice sets and boards that I never take out of the house. I'm not going to let some intense player slam my nice pieces. I have a vinyl board and a plastic set for that.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 May '18 12:15
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    I have two really nice sets and boards that I never take out of the house. I'm not going to let some intense player slam my nice pieces. I have a vinyl board and a plastic set for that.
    Interesting variety of responses. Thank You for the feedback everyone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree