Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 05 Feb '09 23:13
    my book by J.C.Purdy, 'from beginning to fine points', is coming, all the way from Australia to sunny Glasgow! It was not easy to find, some copies are more expensive than Fischers, my 60 memorable games! Never the less, since i got into chess, everything i have read of this writer is positive and held in high regard by one and all, hopefully the book will beneficial and enjoyable!
  2. 05 Feb '09 23:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    my book by J.C.Purdy, 'from beginning to fine points', is coming, all the way from Australia to sunny Glasgow! It was not easy to find, some copies are more expensive than Fischers, my 60 memorable games! Never the less, since i got into chess, everything i have read of this writer is positive and held in high regard by one and all, hopefully the book will beneficial and enjoyable!
    Great! I hope you like it. But I'm a little confused by the title - Are you getting his "Guide to Good Chess", which is also subtitled "First Steps to Fine Points", or is it a different book that I haven't heard about?

P.S. If you'll allow me to nit-pick for a moment, it's C.J.S. Purdy - Cecil John Seddon Purdy.
  3. 06 Feb '09 00:02
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Great! I hope you like it. But I'm a little confused by the title - Are you getting his "Guide to Good Chess", which is also subtitled "First Steps to Fine Points", or is it a different book that I haven't heard about?

P.S. If you'll allow me to nit-pick for a moment, it's C.J.S. Purdy - Cecil John Seddon Purdy.
    Hi, yes Rook my friend, sorry for the inaccuracy, Guide to good chess, its a nineteen eighties reprint, paperback. i am not bothered about the books condition, just the contents, Ive heard he was an excellent writer and that he kind of, how can i say this, asks the reader to kind of formulate a mental commentary for himself, i cannot remember where i read this or even if its true, never the less it comes well recommended, but man this was one hard book to get a hold of, three times i tried to get it on Amazon, and three times it was unavailable, this copy is coming all the way from Queensland, cannot wait!
  4. 06 Feb '09 00:13
    If you had gone along to some of the Congress's in the Summer
    you would have seen a few of these and others in the series,
    in the 2nd hand box £5.00 each.

At the Glasgow Congress I picked up four of his books which
    I dip into once in a while for a nice wee break - good writer.

I thought I was only going to get three of his books as the fourth
    was being held by another lad.

Luckily for me and terrible for him he put it back and bought
    an opening book instead. What a plonker.

I got a Purdy book he got Vol II of something on the French.

I got these four plus Foundations of Chess Strategy by
    Lars Bo Hansen for £20.00. (£5.00 each - five for £20.00).

'Foundations' is a good book. Excellent examples showing how
    strategy delveoped from the 1800's to the present day.

The pages are sprinkled with tips and hints and the games have been
    carefully selected taking the reader on a trip through chess History.

it's 'My Predessessors' in one tidy volume.
  5. 07 Feb '09 20:03
    Hi, yes Rook my friend, sorry for the inaccuracy, Guide to good chess, its a nineteen eighties reprint, paperback. i am not bothered about the books condition, just the contents, Ive heard he was an excellent writer and that he kind of, how can i say this, asks the reader to kind of formulate a mental commentary for himself, i cannot remember where ...[text shortened]... nd three times it was unavailable, this copy is coming all the way from Queensland, cannot wait!
    Guide to Good Chess is a great book, IMO. Most of the book is for novices, but there is some instructive stuff in the book that even a USCF 1800 player can benefit from. (Myself being one of the 1800-players who learned stuff from the book.)
  6. 07 Feb '09 20:06
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Guide to Good Chess is a great book, IMO. Most of the book is for novices, but there is some instructive stuff in the book that even a USCF 1800 player can benefit from. (Myself being one of the 1800-players who learned stuff from the book.)
    i read somewhere my friend that he helps the student establish a kind of mental checklist, like a kind of mental running commentary, can you confirm or deny this. i read it somewhere ages ago but cannot find the source.
  7. 09 Feb '09 18:33
    i read somewhere my friend that he helps the student establish a kind of mental checklist, like a kind of mental running commentary, can you confirm or deny this. i read it somewhere ages ago but cannot find the source.
    Yes, Mr. Purdy provides a systematic method of analyzing positions. The next time I'm on the net, I'll post on this thread where it is.
  8. 11 Feb '09 17:46 / 1 edit
    Actually, what you're looking for doesn't seem to be in Guide to Good Chess like I thought it was.

I do know that it can be found in a book called C.J.S. Purdy: His Life, Games and Writings.. It was republished in algebraic notation and was retitled The Search for Chess Perfection.
  9. 11 Feb '09 19:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Actually, what you're looking for doesn't seem to be in Guide to Good Chess like I thought it was.

I do know that it can be found in a book called C.J.S. Purdy: His Life, Games and Writings.. It was republished in algebraic notation and was retitled The Search for Chess Perfection.
    And still in print under the title of The Search for Chess Perfection II (just barely - Thinkers' Press has fallen on hard times but refuses to die.)

It's currently offered by Chess 4 Less here in the states, and I'm pretty sure that the London Chess Center had been selling it, although I don't see it on their web site right now.
  10. 11 Feb '09 22:24
    And still in print under the title of The Search for Chess Perfection II (just barely - Thinkers' Press has fallen on hard times but refuses to die.)

It's currently offered by Chess 4 Less here in the states, and I'm pretty sure that the London Chess Center had been selling it, although I don't see it on their web site right now.
    there is a copy on amazon.co.uk for the princely sum of £325.00 pounds, and its a paperback and not new.
  11. 11 Feb '09 22:32
    there is a copy on amazon.co.uk for the princely sum of £325.00 pounds, and its a paperback and not new.
    Ha Ha, yeah, I suspect some sellers (and buyers) aren't aware that there's a II still in print. It's not widely advertised.
  12. 12 Feb '09 15:13
    Ha Ha, yeah, I suspect some sellers (and buyers) aren't aware that there's a II still in print. It's not widely advertised.
    it came today, my new book, all the way from Australia, with beautiful stamps of Jim Jim falls and everything, already i am assimilating the material and once i will be ready Paulbuchmanfromfics will be given in to my hand! it is his destiny!