Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member TimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    24 Aug '12 21:35
    I am working on a new chess tactics book that will be out by the holiday season for the Amazon Kindle eBook reader.

    I need your help deciding on which cover to use!

    Go here and make your pick!

    https://99designs.com/book-cover-design/vote-7zdntp

    There are 8 different choices. You can rate each cover with a scale of 1-5 stars, and leave comments.

    Should just take a minute, and others have told me it was fun, and the feedback is appreciated!

    Cheers,
    Tim

    P.S. I know you were possibly told "Never judge a book by it's cover", but in this case, you are allowed 😉 https://99designs.com/book-cover-design/vote-7zdntp
  2. 24 Aug '12 22:01
    done!

    for me 1 really stood out.But apparently few others like it LOL
  3. 24 Aug '12 22:31
    Thanks Tim and a thumbs up for the effort. In #14, is the board turned wrong?
  4. Standard member TimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    24 Aug '12 23:29
    thanks Monty! Your comments were great! Do you work in design? Or just own too many chess books 🙂
  5. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    24 Aug '12 23:41
    Originally posted by TimmyBx
    I am working on a new chess tactics book that will be out by the holiday season for the Amazon Kindle eBook reader.

    I need your help deciding on which cover to use!

    Go here and make your pick!

    https://99designs.com/book-cover-design/vote-7zdntp

    There are 8 different choices. You can rate each cover with a scale of 1-5 stars, and leave comments. ...[text shortened]... er", but in this case, you are allowed 😉 https://99designs.com/book-cover-design/vote-7zdntp
    I like 16 best
  6. Standard member TimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    24 Aug '12 23:50
    cool, #16 is winning so far 🙂 And yeah, I think that the board is set up wrong on one of them, which MontyMoose pointed out, lol
  7. 24 Aug '12 23:53
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I like 16 best
    I also liked 16 best. I preferred a bit of colour on the page rather than too greyish/dull, and secondly, when I see the start position I may think "openings book?" so I liked the fallen king in that respect as it suggests tactics more.
  8. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    25 Aug '12 00:07
    I liked #8. It would look better against a black background, however.
  9. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    25 Aug '12 01:20 / 1 edit
    Just use a pic of Brian dressed up as Godzilla. 😉
    I just now noticed the co-author. 🙂
  10. 25 Aug '12 01:46
    No 16.

    The ttitle is wrong. Call it:

    Tactics Time in the Openings.

    (anything with Opening the title sells.)
  11. 25 Aug '12 02:44
    Originally posted by TimmyBx
    ...thanks Monty! Your comments were great! Do you work in design? Or just own too many chess books...
    Too many books? Well, don't we all? Cut my teeth on PageMaker decades ago, so I still look at layout as very important. 😉
  12. 25 Aug '12 02:58
    Of the 8 designs I like #16 best by far but I have a bit of a "thing" about anything which is "101" or "1001" ways to do something, maybe thats just me but I'd rather the title was less prescriptive in that way and more generic "themes and ideas" rather than trying to get to a "special" number

    I wish you all the best with the book, anything not written by a GM/IM I find much more instructive than the dross they push out...
  13. 25 Aug '12 03:05
    Hey Tim, any other platforms the book will be on? I have a Nook and a PC.
  14. 25 Aug '12 07:30
    I liked #19,sober and stylish.

    But few agree
  15. 25 Aug '12 13:01
    Originally posted by TimmyBx
    cool, #16 is winning so far 🙂 And yeah, I think that the board is set up wrong on one of them, which MontyMoose pointed out, lol
    I have 'Lasker's Manual of Chess' published by Dover where the front cover is a picture of Emanuel Lasker sat at a chess board which is not set up correctly i.e. black square bottom right