Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 09 Aug '07 23:41
    I recently played a game against a local player who played the King's Indian Attack against me (I play the sicilian). Though it isn't the best anti-sicilian system, I have the most trouble against it. Here's the opening section of the game I played. (Ironically I ended up winning on tactics, though I had a worse position in the opening)

White: 1689
    Black : 1508 (me)

1.Nf3 c5
    2.e4 g6
    3.g3 Nc6
    4.Bg2 Bg7
    5.O-O d6
    6. d3 Nf6
    7.Nbd2 O-O

This is the basic setup of the Kings Indian attack. Watch how I misplay it and get a bad position

8.c3 Qb6?!
    I made this move to help control the d4 square.

Here Fritz recommends one of the following:
    8... Rb8
    8... e5
    8... Bg4
    8... Bd7
    8... b6
    8... Ne8

I like 8...e5 the best. Anyway, the game continued

9.a4 Be6
    10.h3 Rab8
    11.Ng5 Bd7
    12.Nc4 Qc7
    13.f4 h6
    14. Nf3 e6

And you can see I have a very passive position. I couldn't find how to play against the KIA in my openings book, Chess Openings for Black, Explained . For anyone who plays it against the sicilian or plays against it, what are the typical plans for each side? Do you have any illustrative games? Thanks.
  2. 10 Aug '07 18:05
    Or if you don't know, any resources to find out more information?
  3. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    10 Aug '07 18:07
    you're going to have to get a book on the KIA....

the starting out series has a kings indian attack book out right now that has a whole chapter on the KIA vs the sicilian.
  4. 10 Aug '07 19:50
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    I recently played a game against a local player who played the King's Indian Attack against me (I play the sicilian). Though it isn't the best anti-sicilian system, I have the most trouble against it. Here's the opening section of the game I played. (Ironically I ended up winning on tactics, though I had a worse position in the opening)

B ...[text shortened]... st it, what are the typical plans for each side? Do you have any illustrative games? Thanks.
    It's called the closed Sicilian...Boris Spassky was really deadly with it as white. btw...chess openings for black and the other for white are full of holes. They have only a few basic lines which means a lot of responses they don't even consider...I guess the book lies when it says it is a 'complete' defense to 1.e4
  5. 11 Aug '07 03:31
    That is not the closed sicilian. The closed sicilian is 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3
  6. 11 Aug '07 03:32
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    you're going to have to get a book on the KIA....

the starting out series has a kings indian attack book out right now that has a whole chapter on the KIA vs the sicilian.
    Thanks. I'll take a look at it.
  7. 11 Aug '07 10:42
    That is not the closed sicilian. The closed sicilian is 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3
    You can play it without Nc3..
  8. Standard member Kepler
    Demon Duck
    11 Aug '07 11:02
    Originally posted by Restless Soul
    You can play it without Nc3..
    Yes you can and the game in question is definitely not an open Sicilian but white is using a KIA setup. I suppose it is really both a closed Sicilian and a King's Indian Attack.
  9. Standard member najdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    11 Aug '07 12:03 / 2 edits

B st it, what are the typical plans for each side? Do you have any illustrative games? Thanks.
    If you play Sicilian as black you may wish to look at Gambit's
    Anti-Sicilians for Black.
    Also Richard Palliser has just released a book called Fighting The Anti-Sicilians..........both books would give a method of dealing against the KIA.

In these positions I like to play a king side fianchetto linked with a maroczy bind with a later e5. I prefer to play the kings knight to e7 so I can play a later f5 break. See below:

This is an OTB league game by me as Black a couple of yrs ago against a KIA and demostrates the kind of way I like to play aginast it!! (I think Black is doing rather well).

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d3 g6 4.g3 Bg7 5.Bg2 e5 6.0-0 Nge7 7.
    Re1 0-0 8.Nbd2 d6 9.Nf1 Be6 10.Ne3 h6 11.a3 Qd7 12.Rb1 f5

This is an OTB league game by me as Black a couple of yrs ago agianst a KIA and demostrates the kind of way I like to play aginast it!!