1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 16:22
    Please, can you help me with this system, usual lines, ideas. I know it is less tactical and semi-closed. Do you have some nice game with that. I heard that is more a system than regular opening...?
  2. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 16:44
    Kings indian attack with white is a system opening...

But if you want information on the Kings Indian defence...well...

*runs away screaming in fear due to the amount of theory in the Kings Indian*
  3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 16:45
    Attack, of course !
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 18:042 edits
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Please, can you help me with this system, usual lines, ideas. I know it is less tactical and semi-closed. Do you have some nice game with that. I heard that is more a system than regular opening...?
    ...e5, ...d6, ...b6, ...Bb7, ...Nc6, ...Nf6, ...Be7, ...0-0 in whichever order is safest. Then you can move from there.

Oops, my mistake. Post changed for correctness.

Wait, are we discussing KIA, KID, or both?
  5. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 18:07
    Thanks, what confuses me that when you try to play Wikipedia moves or 1. Nf3 in Fritz, it says it is unusual French or Reti? And in Fischer games first moves are e4, d3, Nd2 😕
  6. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 18:07
    yer not even close....e4 d3 g3 Bg2 Nf3 0-0 Nd2
  7. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 18:11
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    yer not even close....e4 d3 g3 Bg2 Nf3 0-0 Nd2
    Fritz give poor move mark to 1. e4 e5 2. d3 ? Ehh... I will say it again 😕

And one question? Is it sound?
  8. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 18:15
    it is sound....remember you are playing a "system" opening...

so some lines are going to be equal for black right away.

you're not trying for an opening advantage...you're trying to take the game down paths that you already know....thats the beauty of "system" openings...you know the lines better than your opponent.

and the KIA is very sound and can lead to a very aggressive kingside attack....and it can also lead to boring positions if black exchanges pieces early.
  9. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 18:18
    I think I remember Yasser Seirawan saying he primarily uses the KI in his book winning chess strategys
  10. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 18:22
    i think it was "winning chess openings"

where he says play KIA with white and play KID and Pirc with black...

so you learn formation type chess...."system" chess
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 18:27
    Thanks, what confuses me that when you try to play Wikipedia moves or 1. Nf3 in Fritz, it says it is unusual French or Reti? And in Fischer games first moves are e4, d3, Nd2 😕
    1. Nf3 is being played by White. For White to play the KID he needs to play 1. d4. However the KID is easily transposed into from any number of starts.

Did you mean 1...Nf6?
  12. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 19:211 edit
    Fritz give poor move mark to 1. e4 e5 2. d3 ? Ehh... I will say it again 😕

And one question? Is it sound?
    If you play 1. e4 intending to play the open games after e5 you can use the KIA against most first moves other than e5 for black but you have to be careful of move order according to what black does. KIA is good against the French and e6 varieties of Sicilian, less good against other stuff.

If you want to play the KIA without needing to worry about what black is going to do start with 1. Nf3. Then you can generally play d3, g3, Bg2, Nbd2, e4 and so on in any sensible order. If you don't feel like playing a KIA on some occasion you can always play a Reti or transpose to something else.

The main idea behind the KIA is a kingside attack which often works if black cooperates. You have to be alert though, if black does not castle or castles long and white continues mindlessly with the KIA position he can end up looking particularly stupid.
  13. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 20:55
    Thank you very much, I found your information really helpfull.
  14. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 21:061 edit
    Originally posted by Kepler
    If you play 1. e4 intending to play the open games after e5 you can use the KIA against most first moves other than e5 for black but you have to be careful of move order according to what black does. KIA is good against the French and e6 varieties of Sicilian, less good against other stuff.

If you want to play the KIA without needing to worry about what bl and white continues mindlessly with the KIA position he can end up looking particularly stupid.
    Someone else in this thread mentioned this in connection with an opening system suggested by Yasser Seirawan in his book Winning Chess Openings. One aspect that put me off of playing this as White was the possibility that after 1.Nf3 (and with the additional move order he gave) Black could end up occupying the center and playing a reversed...something...opening, at which point White is basically playing like Black and vice-versa in terms of space and initiative.

Can you supply the missing name of this opening reply, and also whether it can be avoided gracefully?

Edit: reversed London?
  15. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 21:16
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    Someone else in this thread mentioned this in connection with an opening system suggested by Yasser Seirawan in his book Winning Chess Openings. One aspect that put me off of playing this as White was the possibility that after 1.Nf3 (and with the additional move order he gave) Black could end up occupying the center and playing a reversed...something.. ...[text shortened]... of this opening reply, and also whether it can be avoided gracefully?

Edit: reversed London?
    I'm not sure which opening Seirawan is worried about, I've never read his book. The 1. Nf2 move order can lead to a reversed King's indian, hence the Kingis Indian Attack rather than Defence, but that is not something that white needs to be really scared about. Black generally finds it easier to equalise against the KIA, especially the 1. Nf3 version, but that doesn't seem to give white too many problems. The KIA won't suit the sort of player who likes to sacrifice everything for a flashy mate but if you like lasting pressure and grinding your opponents to dust it is a good tool. I guess you just have to avoid Seirawan's nasty line for black!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree