1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    22 Mar '18 21:20
    Which do you generally consider to be the most advantageous combination? Yes, I know it depends on the position. But which would you rather have?

For some reason, the combination reminds me of the gladiator fights between the retiarius (the knight and bishop being the net and trident) and the secutor (fights with sword and shield).
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    22 Mar '18 23:59
    Originally posted by @kunsoo
    Which do you generally consider to be the most advantageous combination? Yes, I know it depends on the position. But which would you rather have?

For some reason, the combination reminds me of the gladiator fights between the retiarius (the knight and bishop being the net and trident) and the secutor (fights with sword and shield).
    Generally speaking, I'd take bishop and knight. Though the pawn has the potential to promote, it will be a weakness for most of the game.
  3. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 12:071 edit
    Depends on the phase of the game. In the opening, the bishop and knight will almost always be better. In the endgame it's 50/50. Pawns and rooks increase in value towards the endgame. Until the late middle game/endgame is reached, rooks<5 and pawns <1. Generally speaking of course.

With 3 pawns vs a piece. The piece is almost always better unless it's an endgame. For the same reason.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree