1. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 21:00
    I say latest, but this has happened before. I'm playing on playchess 2/12. We're both playing pretty fast, but he's a lot faster. No delays with moves coming in. Then i get his rook (last piece) and start picking off pawns. I'm wondering, why doesn't this guy resign? For some reason no rating is next to his name in the notation list, so i have no idea how strong he is. Maybe he's a beginner. I have no idea why Fritz sometimes does this. Maybe there's a way of arranging that with the software, i don't know. Anyway, he has 7+ minutes left. Suddenly he stops moving. he does nothing. this has happened to me before. i go watch the news on tv. read a magazine. i come back occasionally tocheck. Yup. still not moving. finally, the final count down, then "zeit" on the fritz scoreboard. I check his rating later. he's in 1500's. played over 1500 blitz games. sorry if i bored everybody. just venting, i guess. maybe he was trying to make a point, don't know.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 21:04
    I, too, have wondered why sometimes no rating appears next to a player's name, as if there is a bug in the software.

Such a waste of time is the consequence of your 12 second per move add time. I play 3 0 to 5 0 for this reason. Blitz should be over quick.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 21:24
    i just assumed if no rating appears, they are not yet rated, or are provisional
  4. over there
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 21:24
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I, too, have wondered why sometimes no rating appears next to a player's name, as if there is a bug in the software.

Such a waste of time is the consequence of your 12 second per move add time. I play 3 0 to 5 0 for this reason. Blitz should be over quick.
    I think it is a glitch. My computer/slow rating doesn't show up a lot in the engine room.
  5. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 03:16
    2/12 is ok for me. Its a reasonable compromise between a five minute game and a full length one. Sometimes you run into a complicated position and want to take a minute to make up your mind. Of course, the pure blitz players don't like that. They move by reflex, usually choosing the most aggressive line. I like to do a little thinking, even tho its blitz. Occasionaly, by accident, i get a three minute game. and the pieces just fly off the board or (as one guy did) they move all their pawns one square forward and shuffle knights and bishops back and forth, hoping for a time win. In 2/12 i can learn a lot about openings, typical positions, etc. In a 3 minute game I don't learn anything. At the end of the game i don't even remember the opening. I hope i don't offend the blitz officianados with my opinion. There are lots of 3 minute players on even the big sites like playchess. I liken them to wolves looking for prey.
  6. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 10:49
    It usually happens when they make changes to their profile site hasn't fully updated the stats so their rating doesn't appear. It's always worth trying a claim win on disconnect.

But tbh you might be better off playing with a different time control so at least if it happens again you won't have to wait so long.
  7. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 11:06
    I dunno if this is related, but the same thing happens me on instantchess, - If I have the game just about wrapped up, my opponent doesn't move and I end up sitting there waiting for the counter to hit zero to claim my win. Annoying.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 14:47
    Originally posted by buddy2
    2/12 is ok for me. Its a reasonable compromise between a five minute game and a full length one. Sometimes you run into a complicated position and want to take a minute to make up your mind. Of course, the pure blitz players don't like that. They move by reflex, usually choosing the most aggressive line. I like to do a little thinking, even tho its blitz ...[text shortened]... nute players on even the big sites like playchess. I liken them to wolves looking for prey.
    2/12 is rapid, IMHO, not blitz, even though the server calls it blitz.

For rapid games I prefer 15 0 or 15 2. That gives me plenty of time to think.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 17:22
    I wish playchess.com had a 'moretime' feature.

On ICC, I punish hate-waiters by continually giving them more time. They are forced to either resign or continue staring at their lost position. The best part is, they can't play any other games on the server. I've broken the spirit of even the most stubborn hate-waiters in this manner. One guy tried everything. He disconnected, only to find that the server put him right back into the game upon his return. After an hour (!) or so more of more-time'ing, he finally left for the night. I adjourned the game. The next evening, when he was on the server, he tried seeking a game, which also sends an automatic challenge to finish adjournments. I accepted, and went right back to more-timing him. 😀

He finally resigned.
  10. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 17:29
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I wish playchess.com had a 'moretime' feature.

On ICC, I punish hate-waiters by continually giving them more time. They are forced to either resign or continue staring at their lost position. The best part is, they can't play any other games on the server. I've broken the spirit of even the most stubborn hate-waiters in this manner. One guy tried e ...[text shortened]... djournments. I accepted, and went right back to more-timing him. 😀

He finally resigned.
    Sweet.😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree