1. bedlam
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 17:03

It's black to move.Obviously he has mate in 1.
    But before he can execute the move his flag falls.
    Under FIDE rules,what is the result of this game?
    a.white wins
    b.draw
    c.black wins

hint
    Reveal Hidden Content
    from the laws of chess "if a player does not complete the prescribed number of moves in the allotted time, the game is lost by the player. However, the game is drawn, if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the player’s king by any possible series of legal moves

answer
    Reveal Hidden Content
    draw.Black has only 1 legal move,to mate white.Therefore white can never mate black by any series of legal moves
  2. Joined
    25 Nov '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 20:56
    Technically, so long as he completes his move before his opponent claims victory for the flag-fall, it will be a win for black. My understanding of the rule is that it is not enough for the flag to fall, the win must be claimed.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 20:591 edit
    Originally posted by untergang
    Technically, so long as he completes his move before his opponent claims victory for the flag-fall, it will be a win for black. My understanding of the rule is that it is not enough for the flag to fall, the win must be claimed.
    The win can be claimed at any time as long as it is proven that the flag indeed fell and, as the flag doesn't unfall, proving this is easy.
  4. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 22:19
    How?...I mean proving it. Been on a few Rapidplays to know that this is a grey area........
  5. Joined
    25 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 10:10
    Article 6.7.a of the laws of chess states:

"During the game each player, having made his move on the chessboard, shall stop his own clock and start his opponent’s clock. A player must always be allowed to stop his clock. His move is not considered to have been completed until he has done so, unless the move that was made ends the game."

Therefore, unless the win is claimed by (in this position) white before black checkmates him, the result will be a win for black, as, after the event, it would be impossible to prove whether the flag fell before or after black made his move.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 22:41
    Originally posted by untergang
    Article 6.7.a of the laws of chess states:

"During the game each player, having made his move on the chessboard, shall stop his own clock and start his opponent’s clock. A player must always be allowed to stop his clock. His move is not considered to have been completed until he has done so, unless the move that was made ends the game."

Therefore, un ...[text shortened]... nt, it would be impossible to prove whether the flag fell before or after black made his move.
    It doesn't matter. The move is not completed until the clock is stopped so if the flag falls then the game ends in a loss for the player with the fallen flag providing the opponent has sufficient mating material.
  7. bedlam
    Moves
    31 Jul '11 09:29
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    It doesn't matter. The move is not completed until the clock is stopped so if the flag falls then the game ends in a loss for the player with the fallen flag providing the opponent has sufficient mating material.
    Not quite.See the bit in bold "A player must always be allowed to stop his clock. His move is not considered to have been completed until he has done so, unless the move that was made ends the game."

@untergang
    The black player never made his move so he flagged.No argument there.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '11 18:52
    Originally posted by torten
    Not quite.See the bit in bold "A player must always be allowed to stop his clock. His move is not considered to have been completed until he has done so, [b]unless the move that was made ends the game."

@untergang
    The black player never made his move so he flagged.No argument there.[/b]
    Yeah, I made an edit but It didn't change I guess. That part of the rule is actually new to me. I guess since he never made his move it would have to be a draw.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree