1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 15:471 edit
    Hello all,

A couple months ago I downloaded "ChessQuest" for my iPhone - which is simply a program with a bunch of chess puzzles. It's been a great time killer for those times when you're standing in line or even sitting on the crapper.

I'm not sure if the two are related, but my chess rating on RHP has been climbing. For those of you with smart phones I highly recommend picking up an app for tactics. It's great for me because I don't have to "make myself" study tactics. I just do it because I'm bored and my phone is always with me.

So I'd like to see if anyone else has picked up a different program that they recommend. Suggestions?

BTW, here's my take on ChessQuest. It has 6 difficultly levels - Basic, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. My only complaint is that even Basic is extremely challenging (for me) when you get to the later puzzles. I would like something that has more low-intermediate level stuff.
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 17:43
    I have this app, I am a fan because the problems seem somewhat original. I also did the 1000 shredder puzzles but most of those were more typical problems and I dont think I really got much new out of them.
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 17:56
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I have this app, I am a fan because the problems seem somewhat original. I also did the 1000 shredder puzzles but most of those were more typical problems and I dont think I really got much new out of them.
    You're higher rated than me, but do you find ChessQuest to be a bit high on the difficulty level?
  4. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Sep '10 16:32
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Hello all,

A couple months ago I downloaded "ChessQuest" for my iPhone - which is simply a program with a bunch of chess puzzles. It's been a great time killer for those times when you're standing in line or even sitting on the crapper.

I'm not sure if the two are related, but my chess rating on RHP has been climbing. For those of you with ...[text shortened]... he later puzzles. I would like something that has more low-intermediate level stuff.
    both Shredder and Hiracs chess programmes have apps now available. A GM strength training partner in your pocket.
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    15 Sep '10 19:02
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    You're higher rated than me, but do you find ChessQuest to be a bit high on the difficulty level?
    I have only done up to level 3 so far. I wouldn't say the problems are so difficult- but I do think some of the sequences and piece usage are more unusual than a lot of puzzle sets so I sometimes struggle because I am trying to brute force calculate instead of clueing into the real idea of the position.
  6. Joined
    07 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 15:02
    Shredder is fantastic.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 17:57
    I have shredder and hiarcs on my iPad. Also fritz. (the last two are really for the iPhone. - both work fine on the iPad.)

Grit
  8. Joined
    22 Sep '10
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 18:05
    I started with books, I'll die with books. ftw.
  9. Joined
    22 Sep '10
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 18:14
    I'm just kidding. They have hand held chess computers but they never put tactics to solve in them. Why not? There was a NY Times hand held chess computer that had some checkmate puzzles but they were pathetically easy. Unless someone knows of a good one?
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '07
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 22:52
    "Chess wise" is a good app, think it comes with 300 exercises, and i think its free, then "chess problems lite" thats definaitly free (my favourite price when it comes to apps)
    And last but not least, "ichess pack" think this was £1:59. If your looking for something to play against I'd recommend "Glaurang", strongest free chess game you can play, can choose strength from elo 800 to 2450

oh, and "chess puzzles easy pack 1" is also free.

enjoy,
  11. Joined
    21 Dec '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 19:37
    My two cents for those who don't have iPhone or any other smartphone. I have quite basic Nokia. If you have collection of puzzles in FEN or EPD format there is epd2diag software that converts each position into image png file. I load them into my phone and later solve them when I have a free minute. Of course there is no way to verify your solution - for this you have to go back to your computer later. Still found it to be wonderful training tool.
    By the way another capability of epd2diag is to convert PGN files to images after each move. Scrolling through them on your phone is like going through the game in PGN viewer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree