1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 01:07
    Can anyone recommend a good place to play chess in Lisbon? I'm visiting for work and would like to play a bit of chess whilst I'm there.
  2. e4
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 02:00
    Go to the Lisbon Chess Club, it's in the heart of the Red Light District.

Tell them Geoff sent you.

While in Portugal why not visit Alekhine's old grave. He's now been
    moved to France so it will most likely be just a hole in the ground.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 09:22
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Go to the Lisbon Chess Club, it's in the heart of the Red Light District.

Tell them Geoff sent you.

While in Portugal why not visit Alekhine's old grave. He's now been
    moved to France so it will most likely be just a hole in the ground.
    I was planning to visit the hotel where Alekhine died, but when I looked into it I discovered it no longer exists.

I will, of course, make a point of visiting the red light district now that I know there the chess club is there. I hope I have better luck than when I visited Amstrerdam - you told me the chess club there was in the red light district as well. Despite searching for hours, I couldn't locate it, but I did meet a nice lady who showed me a couple of interesting positions.
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 09:50
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I was planning to visit the hotel where Alekhine died, but when I looked into it I discovered it no longer exists.

I will, of course, make a point of visiting the red light district now that I know there the chess club is there. I hope I have better luck than when I visited Amstrerdam - you told me the chess club there was in the red light district as we ...[text shortened]... couldn't locate it, but I did meet a nice lady who showed me a couple of interesting positions.
    Queen's Gambit big time?
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 10:45
    Hi there,

Personally, I don't know much about chess in Lisbon but here are the contacts for the Lisbon Chess Association:

ASSOCIAÇÃO DE XADREZ DE LISBOA
    Rua Sociedade Farmacêutica, 56 - 2º
    1150 - 341 LISBOA

+351968052272 or +351960206946 (interestingly, these are mobile phones 😕)

axadrezlisboa@gmail.com

They might redirect to some real clubs or even inform you if there are tournaments going on at those dates. Of course, you won't learn about exotic new openings like you did in Amsterdam.

😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree