1. London
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 20:082 edits
    According to the April issue of Chess magazine, which dropped through my door earlier today, The London Chess Centre are organising a world class chess tournament in London:

"FIDE Category 19 or very close with an average rating of 2700"

The eight players will comprise three English and five world-class GM's from abroad. It's hooped Nigel Short will play...nothing confirmed yet as the invitations have only just gone out.

With a 100,000 Euro prize fund and a 10,000 Euro brilliancy prize.

Time control will be 2 hrs for 40 moves with the Sofia Rules to disallow early draws.

Dates from December 9th to December 17th...blindfold displays and a simul will take place along with other school and community events.....venue to be announced.

Sounds almost to good to be true...hope it's not an April Fool!
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 22:07
    Originally posted by Mahout
    According to the April issue of Chess magazine, which dropped through my door earlier today, The London Chess Centre are organising a world class chess tournament in London:

The eight players will comprise three English and five world-class GM's from abroad. It's hooped Nigel Short will p ...[text shortened]... ..venue to be announced.

Sounds great. I hope Nigel plays, and it would be nice if they gave Topalov a non-invite. 😀 If Topalov plays, I won't be as interested.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 05:54
    Originally posted by Mahout

The eight players will comprise three English and five world-class GM's from abroad. It's hooped Nigel Short will p ...[text shortened]... ..venue to be announced.

Maybe they could get Cheater1 to play there. That would be fun to watch wouldn't it??😀
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 06:03
    Why only 8 GM's?

Maybe Kamsky will play?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 06:26
    Sofia Rules?
  6. Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 06:33
    Sofia rules!
  7. London
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 08:32
    Originally posted by Tigerhouse
    Sofia rules!
    Sofia rules!

Disallows early draws.
  8. London
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 10:06
    Cut pasted this from a site about the MTel Masters:

"....the rules known in the world of chess as "the Sofia rules" will be valid. The opponents cannot communicate during the games and cannot offer a draw. Proposals for a draw can be made only through the Chief Arbiter in three cases: triple repetition, eternal chess and theoretical draw position."
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 12:011 edit
    Ahhh I see. Thanks

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree