1. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 00:373 edits
    Originally posted by hedonist
    Black in round 4
    [pgn]1. Nf3 d5 2. g3 Nf6 3. Bg2 Bg4 4. O-O Qd6 5. b3 e5 6. d3 Be7 7. Bb2 Nbd7 8.Nbd2 O-O 9. Rc1 c5 10. c4 d4 11. Qc2 Rad8 12. Rfe1 Ne8 13. e3 f5 14. exd4 exd4 15. a3 Nef6 16. b4 b6 17. Nb3 f4 18. Qe2 Rde8 19. bxc5 bxc5 20. Nbd2 fxg3 21. fxg3 Bd8 22. Qf2 Bf5 23. Rxe8 Rxe8 24. Ng5 Bg6 25. Nde4 Nxe4 26. Bxe4 Bxg5 27. Bxg6 Qxg6 28. Rf1 Be3 0-1 32. Qd2 Bg6 33. Rfe1 Rac8 34. Re3 b5 35. Qd7 b4 36. Ka1 Bxc2 37. Rc1 b3 38. a3 Qc5 0-1[/pgn]
    I thought you were going to play Smith-Morra gambit style, then went into a kind of grandprix attack with f4, craziest white side of a Sicilian, the queen lost a few tempi in the middle, blocked the development of the queens bishop, eventually was victim to a pawn fork, just an observation, why do you play the queen pawn with black and not with white? Although you won the game in the fourth round, it seems risky, why did not white after playing b3 not play bishop to a3 skewering queen and bishop? Interesting games, is this in the 1600-1800 hundred section?
  2. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 10:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I thought you were going to play Smith-Morra gambit style, then went into a kind of grandprix attack with f4, craziest white side of a Sicilian, the queen lost a few tempi in the middle, blocked the development of the queens bishop, eventually was victim to a pawn fork, just an observation, why do you play the queen pawn with black and not with white ...[text shortened]... to a3 skewering queen and bishop? Interesting games, is this in the 1600-1800 hundred section?
    In game 4 white could play Ba3 I suppose. But I could play c5, a move I wanted to make anyway.

I don't agree with your assessment of game 5. I had a very good position out of the opening before I blundered. See my game notes at www.chesshed.blogspot.co.uk . (I'm having trouble inserting notes to my games here. Maybe something to do with using ICC to archive my otb games.)

'why do you play the queen pawn with black and not with white?' I don't understand that question. I play e5 v e4 also.

This was the minor section Robbie. Under 1450. I was tempted to play in the major(1450-1850) but decided to play in a section I could win. I've found that playing above your grade gives you more interesting games, but you lose the competitive excitement of been expected to do well. As it turned out I was top seed and I played the 2nd, 3rd and 4th seeds.

You should try a chess tourney man. Yo would love it. I'm playing in Edinburgh at the weekend. I'm addicted again. 🙂
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 10:542 edits
    In game 4 white could play Ba3 I suppose. But I could play c5, a move I wanted to make anyway.

I don't agree with your assessment of game 5. I had a very good position out of the opening before I blundered. See my game notes at www.chesshed.blogspot.co.uk . (I'm having trouble inserting notes to my games here. Maybe something to do with using ICC to arch y man. Yo would love it. I'm playing in Edinburgh at the weekend. I'm addicted again. 🙂
    Its a rather fundamental chess principle that one doe not bring the ice maiden to the centre early for she can be an object of attack, now i could tell you what you want to hear but we should speak honestly, why don't you think that you lost valuable tempi because of this, to me it seems self evident, after the queen took on d5 you were forced to move it, black got a free developing move . . .Nc6, after the knight came to g4 you were forced to move her again, ok, black was forced to retreat but had your queen not been in the centre the pawn fork would simply not have been possible. On e3 the queen also blocks the natural development of the queens bishop, does it not? In game four you did the same thing, simply to try to force through e5, after white plays d4 your dreams of playing e5 are over, even after a move like Nbd7 for white can simply play c4. Now i am not saying that there are no instances where it advantageous to bring the queen to the centre so early, but none of these games qualify for that, now you can agree or disagree, i wont take it personally.

I cannot join a chess club or go to tournaments, i have a young family that needs all my attention at present. I was supposed to go to the chess cub on Thursday, but because of family, it was impossible.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 11:171 edit

I don't agree with your assessment of game 5. I had a very good position out of the opening before I blundered. See my game notes at www.chesshed.blogspot.co.uk . (I'm having trouble inserting notes to my games here. Maybe something to do with using ICC to arch y man. Yo would love it. I'm playing in Edinburgh at the weekend. I'm addicted again. 🙂
    after 15...e4 in game five did you not consider Qxd6, it looks like you may have got away with two pawns for your piece.
  5. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 11:46
    Its a rather fundamental chess principle that one doe not bring the ice maiden to the centre early for she can be an object of attack, now i could tell you what you want to hear but we should speak honestly, why don't you think that you lost valuable tempi because of this, to me it seems self evident, after the queen took on d5 you were forced to mov ...[text shortened]... . I was supposed to go to the chess cub on Thursday, but because of family, it was impossible.
    Although it is well known that bringing the queen out early for no reason is bad, in the 2 games you mentioned I don't believe that is the case. I would never say that the queen moves were the optimal choices in those games. But I wouldn't say they were bad moves.

Morozevich as white:

Hedonist as white:

and...

Akobain as black:
  6. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 12:08
    after 15...e4 in game five did you not consider Qxd6, it looks like you may have got away with two pawns for your piece.
    Yes, there was a few chances for me go into an endgame a piece for 2 pawns down. But the best I could've hoped for then is a draw. I wanted to keep the queens on and randomize the position a bit.

I needed to win for first place.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 13:10
    Although it is well known that bringing the queen out early for no reason is bad, in the 2 games you mentioned I don't believe that is the case. I would never say that the queen moves were the optimal choices in those games. But I wouldn't say they were bad moves.

Morozevich as white:
    [pgn]1. e4 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. Qxd4 Nc6 4. Qe3 Nf6 5. Nc3 Ng4 6. Qg3 d ...[text shortened]... Kf1 Re7 21.Re1 Rhe8 22.Qc4 Bf4 23.g5 Nh5 24.gxh6 gxh6 25.d5 Bxd2 26.Rb1 cxd5 27.Qxd5 0-1[/pgn]
    Moro and Akobian are chess masters, they can bend the principles to their will, we are patzers, we should obey solid chess principles otherwise we will be punished!
  8. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 13:18
    Moro and Akobian are chess masters, they can bend the principles to their will, we are patzers, we should obey solid chess principles otherwise we will be punished!
    I think you have it the wrong way round. Grandmasters are more restricted by general principles than patzers. When playing their peers that is.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 15:35
    In the last round game, on white's 11th:

I prefer Be3 to f5. The idea is simply to 0-0-0 and pressure black's d6 pawn. Also, ...Nb4 can be answered by Qd2, preparing the 'dragon killer' Bh6 if black castles.

White can always play f5 later on, but has to be careful about doing it too soon and unleashing black's d- and e-pawns.
  10. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 11:48
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    In the last round game, on white's 11th:
    [fen]r1bqk2r/pp3pbp/2np1np1/4p3/4PP2/2NQ1N1P/PPP1B1P1/R1B1K2R w KQkq - 1 11[/fen]
    I prefer Be3 to f5. The idea is simply to 0-0-0 and pressure black's d6 pawn. Also, ...Nb4 can be answered by Qd2, preparing the 'dragon killer' Bh6 if black castles.

White can always play f5 later on, but has to be careful about doing it too soon and unleashing black's d- and e-pawns.
    I see your point. The f5 move lets black dominate the centre, which is ample compensation for any weaknesses on the kingside. The more I look at the position, the more i see opportunities for black I never considered during the game. I'm not winning as I arrogantly thought at the time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree