Solihull
    Moves
    23 Aug '18 01:46
  10. SubscriberRooksandHooks
    rookorbycrook
    Solihull
    Moves
    23 Aug '18 01:46
    it wont allow me to post the game on a reply here so I started a new thread in the chess forum
  11. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 14:53
    Originally posted by @64squaresofpain
    [b]Game 5 - Zak Tomlinson (105) vs Julian Hawthorne (119)

Sitting on board 3 in the final round,
    I needed a full point to have a chance of winning something substantial, if at all.

What did the tense final round have in store for me?

[pgn][Event "Manchester Congress"] [Site "?"] [Date "2018.9.19"] [Round "5"] [White "Zak Tomlinson"] [B ...[text shortened]... ither game won, we would have had to split the money 4 ways or even 5 ways... lucky lucky lucky![/b]
    So that's that.
    Anybody who says there is virtually no luck in chess has clearly not played enough over the board!

I agree, it's amazing what hangs on a few seconds and a small piece of luck. This is why I left OTB years ago to focus on correspondence chess, it used to tear me up inside to carefully build up a winning position then lose the game because the clock didn't allow enough time to see I was open to mate in 2 or 3, or some cheapo like a skewer, fork or nasty double attack. To make matters worse, I then had then politely shake the hand of the urchin I genuinely wanted to destroy with a pick axe to the back of his head. I much prefer to click on a "resign" button and move on.
  12. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 14:53

I needed a full point to have a chance of winning something substantial, if at all.

[pgn][Event "Manchester Congress"] [Site "?"] [Date "2018.9.19"] [Round "5"] [White "Zak Tomlinson"] [B ...[text shortened]... ither game won, we would have had to split the money 4 ways or even 5 ways... lucky lucky lucky![/b]
    So that's that.
    Anybody who says there is virtually no luck in chess has clearly not played enough over the board!

I agree, it's amazing what hangs on a few seconds and a small piece of luck. This is why I left OTB years ago to focus on correspondence chess, it used to tear me up inside to carefully build up a winning position then lose the game because the clock didn't allow enough time to see I was open to mate in 2 or 3, or some cheapo like a skewer, fork or nasty double attack. To make matters worse, I then had then politely shake the hand of the urchin I genuinely wanted to destroy with a pick axe to the back of his head. I much prefer to click on a "resign" button and move on.
  13. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 15:00

14. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    26 Aug '18 02:22
    This post worked correctly.
  15. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    26 Aug '18 02:38
    Hey Zak–

I don't know if this reply will show up due to that glitch with that user but these are some cool games and I enjoyed your annotations. Thanks for posting and good luck.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree