1.d4 d5
    2.c4 e6
    3.Nc3 c6
    4.e4 dxe4
    5.Nxe4 Bb4+
    6. Bd2 Qxd4
    7.Bxb4 Qxe4+
    8.Be2

White's compensation is his superior development, the fact that the black king will be in the center for a while, and the weak a3-f8 diagonals. I believe it's one of the few gambits seen in GM play. Does anyone have some good example games they'd like to show with this gambit? I'm somewhat inexperienced with it, and would like to learn more.
  2. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 02:021 edit
    It is a rarely seen gambit, I have been playing the semi slav for a long time and have never once had white try it on with me.

I think the reasoning for this is that d4 players tend to be more solid and positional, and the idea of a proper gambit tends not to appeal to them much - they would rather earn their initiative then buy it for a pawn.
  3. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 10:111 edit
    This gambit is very sharp, there's plenty of theory and practice to look through. Have to admit I lost a game on this site as black. My opponent managed to find what seems to be a big improvement in a critical line. I would probably play it myself if I were a d4 player (which I'm not).
  4. Joined
    30 Nov '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 02:21
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    I've recently started playing the marshall gambit in the semi-slav-
    1.d4 d5
    2.c4 e6
    3.Nc3 c6
    4.e4 dxe4
    5.Nxe4 Bb4+
    6. Bd2 Qxd4
    7.Bxb4 Qxe4+
    8.Be2

White's compensation is his superior development, the fact that the black king will be in the center for a while, and the weak a3-f8 diagonals. I believe it's one of the few gambits seen in GM play. ...[text shortened]... to show with this gambit? I'm somewhat inexperienced with it, and would like to learn more.
    Studying some games by Pavasovic, van Wely, Krasenkow ( a.o.) might be helpfull.
  5. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 20:51
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    I've recently started playing the marshall gambit in the semi-slav-
    1.d4 d5
    2.c4 e6
    3.Nc3 c6
    4.e4 dxe4
    5.Nxe4 Bb4+
    6. Bd2 Qxd4
    7.Bxb4 Qxe4+
    8.Be2

White's compensation is his superior development, the fact that the black king will be in the center for a while, and the weak a3-f8 diagonals. I believe it's one of the few gambits seen in GM play. ...[text shortened]... to show with this gambit? I'm somewhat inexperienced with it, and would like to learn more.
    I always play this line if my opponent gives me the opportunity, except I have never had an opponent play 5...Bb4+🙁 Which is great tho because without Bb4+ It gives me a great position😛
  6. USA
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 00:45
    I've been studying it a bit from the book starting out 1.d4 (which by, the way, is an excellent book, in case any d4 players are reading this). I'll look on the fritz database and find some games, as well as the games of some of the players in a previous post.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree