1. Berks.
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 14:252 edits

White to move and mate in 5.

Just been playing around and come up with this position. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a mate in 5. There are multiple solutions.

Presumably this isn't too interesting as a mating problem in its own right, but are there records for the amount of solutions to a given problem? And is there an easy way to work out how many different lines there are here?

Or even records for the highest number of initital mating moves (13 here out of 24 possible white moves)?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 20:433 edits
    Originally posted by Peakite
    [fen]k7/7N/6P1/8/8/8/6K1/1N5Q w - - 0 1[/fen]

White to move and mate in 5.

Just been playing around and come up with this position. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a mate in 5. There are multiple solutions.

Presumably this isn't too interesting as a mating problem in its own right, but are there recor ...[text shortened]... ords for the highest number of initital mating moves (13 here out of 24 possible white moves)?
    1.K-any, discovered check
    1...Ka7 2.Qc6 Kb8 3.Qd7 and the pawn promotes.
    1...Kb8 2.Qc6 Ka7 3.g7 Kb8 4.g8Q+ Ka7 5.Qga8#

I'm not sure this holds any interest as a record setter ... the multiple solutions just seem undesirable.

For more interesting tasks, try inventing a position with the max number of mate in 1's, or a position where ALL white's moves mate in one, and maximize the number of moves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree