Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 27 Aug '09 19:41
    I often seem to play better as black where I do not feel obliged to try and prove I have an initiative. I would also like to pass out of theory as early as possible because I am too lazy/busy to keep up.

    As black I play Caro Kann.

    Is c3 a quiet opening or just a bad one?
  2. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    27 Aug '09 21:35
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    I often seem to play better as black where I do not feel obliged to try and prove I have an initiative. I would also like to pass out of theory as early as possible because I am too lazy/busy to keep up.

    As black I play Caro Kann.

    Is c3 a quiet opening or just a bad one?
    If you're looking for quieter openings, why not 1.d4 or 1.Nf3? 1.c3 gives black a stake in the center and impedes the development of white's queeside knight. Not impossible obstacles, but why subject yourself to them if you don't have to?
  3. 27 Aug '09 21:37
    As far as I "understand" it, 1. ... c6 is played as a preparation for 2. ... d5 (so Black can recapture in the centre with a pawn), for White there is no need for such a preparing move.
  4. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    28 Aug '09 01:49
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    I often seem to play better as black where I do not feel obliged to try and prove I have an initiative. I would also like to pass out of theory as early as possible because I am too lazy/busy to keep up.

    As black I play Caro Kann.

    Is c3 a quiet opening or just a bad one?
    I play the Caro Kann as well. As white however, initative can be imporntant. If I may suggest, Kings Indian attack, or Birds opening may suit you better than 1. c3. They are a little more sound, and have not been anaylized to death. You don't always need to keep up with every opening wrinkle a master finds in your pet openings, anaylize your positions, and find your own improvements!
  5. 28 Aug '09 01:52
    Originally posted by bill718
    I play the Caro Kann as well. As white however, initative can be imporntant. If I may suggest, Kings Indian attack, or Birds opening may suit you better than 1. c3. They are a little more sound, and have not been anaylized to death. You don't always need to keep up with every opening wrinkle a master finds in your pet openings, anaylize your positions, and find your own improvements!
    I have currently gone back to the KIA due to chaotic life.
  6. Standard member Nowakowski
    10. O-O
    28 Aug '09 02:03
    Originally posted by bill718
    I play the Caro Kann as well. As white however, initative can be imporntant. If I may suggest, Kings Indian attack, or Birds opening may suit you better than 1. c3. They are a little more sound, and have not been anaylized to death. You don't always need to keep up with every opening wrinkle a master finds in your pet openings, anaylize your positions, and find your own improvements!
    I fail to see the KIA as a quiet opening or system.


    -GIN
  7. Standard member Nowakowski
    10. O-O
    28 Aug '09 02:06 / 9 edits
    Something quiet? Playable? Understudied?

    How about Mieses Opening?...?

    Here is an example from a great game...
  8. 28 Aug '09 02:29
    I suggest you play the same opening you are, take your thorough poundings then thoroughly analyze them.
  9. Standard member orion25
    Art is hard
    28 Aug '09 09:10
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    Something quiet? Playable? Understudied?

    How about Mieses Opening?...?

    Here is an example from a great game...
    [pgn][Event "IBM Man-Machine, New York USA"]
    [Site "03"]
    [Date "1997.??.??"]
    [EventDate "?"]
    [Round "?"]
    [Result "1/2-1/2"]
    [White "Garry Kasparov"]
    [Black "Deep Blue (Computer)"]
    [ECO "A00"]
    [WhiteElo "?"]
    [BlackElo "?"]
    [PlyC ...[text shortened]... f3 Kh8 44.Kh4 Kg8
    45.Ra3 Kh8 46.Ra6 Kh7 47.Ra3 Kh8 48.Ra6 1/2-1/2[/pgn]
    that looks a lot like a transposition into an english opening to me! but its a good sugestion anyhow, I play the english and like it a lot, you can also try the réti wich is a bit more flexible in my opinion. In order to win you don't have to think I must win or I must play agressivly or whatever you just play the best move every time and see what you get. There are many ways to a victory, tactics is one, slowly squiching the life out of your opponent is another, try it and you'll see the joy of it! You don't have to prove you have the initiative as white, you just have to play soundly and relax, the result will take care of itself. If you are a quiet player, like me, try becoming very good at strategy and you'll win a many games as any tactician, or more!

    1.Nf3 or 1.c4 with kingside fienchetto and you'll find yourself in a lot of nice positons, you don't need to know much more theory than this, just keep it safe in the centre and your opponent will be helpless. If you think its too passive for you play 1.d4
  10. 28 Aug '09 10:00
    Originally posted by orion25
    that looks a lot like a transposition into an english opening to me! but its a good sugestion anyhow, I play the english and like it a lot, you can also try the réti wich is a bit more flexible in my opinion. In order to win you don't have to think I must win or I must play agressivly or whatever you just play the best move every time and see what you get. T ...[text shortened]... centre and your opponent will be helpless. If you think its too passive for you play 1.d4
    The disadvantage (or advantage, depends on taste) of c4 is that you let lack play e5, which can be pretty sharp. Nf3 rules out these reverse sicilians and can transpose to english and d4 openings.
  11. 28 Aug '09 10:17
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I like the idea of d3. Depending on blacks reply i presume that e4 is still an option in it?
  12. Standard member Nowakowski
    10. O-O
    28 Aug '09 16:20
    Originally posted by orion25
    that looks a lot like a transposition into an english opening to me! but its a good sugestion anyhow, I play the english and like it a lot, you can also try the réti wich is a bit more flexible in my opinion. In order to win you don't have to think I must win or I must play agressivly or whatever you just play the best move every time and see what you get. T ...[text shortened]... centre and your opponent will be helpless. If you think its too passive for you play 1.d4
    Its a mieses reverse rat.


    It does look similar to English openings, because you play using
    the same theory. Often times you'll see Nd2 early, the system is
    enormously flexible. You can play a reverse Taimanov, or a reverse
    Najdorf if your starting with the Mieses. It's unusual, yet its sound.


    c3 isn't bad either, but your going to do alot of fighting with your
    own opening, and theory, before you can use it as a weapon.

    -GIN
  13. 28 Aug '09 16:39
    Originally posted by orion25
    1.Nf3 or 1.c4 with kingside fienchetto and you'll find yourself in a lot of nice positons, you don't need to know much more theory than this, just keep it safe in the centre and your opponent will be helpless.
    I think that sounds a little too optimistic
  14. 28 Aug '09 16:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I like the idea of d3. Depending on blacks reply i presume that e4 is still an option in it?
    you are already a strong player yourself, but for what it's worth, I would suggest you to give up the idea of experimenting with d3 or c3 stuff and play the reti or english setups if you feel you must play a quiet opening.

    and by quiet, I'm referring only to the opening, because you can never force a whole game to be a quiet and strategical battle, you don't always have the chance to decide when the game will get complicated and tactical.
  15. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    28 Aug '09 19:25
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    I fail to see the KIA as a quiet opening or system.


    -GIN
    ...If I may suggest, you don't need a "quiet opening or system", you need a sound one. Something more effective than 1. c3.