1. e4
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 20:22
    Hi Paul,

Serves them right for playing chess on a phone.
    Does he not know the rules. Mobile phones should be switched off during a game. 🙂

Recently I was in a net café because my printer is on the blink and I wanted to play
    over some PGNs. I wondered if anyone had moved in my games on RHP.

I never log into anything in a net café, that is asking for trouble, so I just went
    onto RHP. Clicked on my name from the forum and looked at my games in progress.

I could not figure out anything because the display was so strange and small. (try it).
    Playing on an odd small screen is asking for trouble.

'Check all Checks' I like it, I think I'll use it in the next blog. Thanks.
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 Jun '15 03:50
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [b]Hi Paul,

'Check all Checks' I like it, I think I'll use it in the next blog. Thanks.
    Ha Ha I got it from you! In a post a long time back you made a reference to a Post It note and how everyone should have one on their computers that says "Look for loose pieces, and check all checks" or something similar. I made it a mantra, and it has served me in good stead. Except when I forget to look at it, of course.

It's all a variation of Nunn's LPDO (loose pieces drop off) and the idea of looking for forcing moves because they are easier to calculate accurately, but the real trick for all of us is to remember to apply them.
  3. e4
    Moves
    20 Jun '15 11:40
    Hi Paul,

I know, I was just having a wee joke.

I've been doing 'Check all Checks for about 20 - 30 years, cannot recall the post it notes
    though I did try something like it it for a day which is just about how long the sticky
    stuff on the back lasts.

I have a large A4 notebook that I write in every move before even looking at what to reply
    to slow me down. Not all games, I wait till I'm about 5-6 moves then and use it for
    what I consider the tough looking games so I can go back to it and see what I'm up too.

Well that is the theory, sometimes I just say I'll catch up with the notes later on and just
    play - that is when I find I blunder, I lost my Quee in a drawn position and suffered my
    shortest ever Latvian loss because I never noted the score and moved to quick.

This note book, I showed it to another RHP lad, it is scribbled with notes, ideas,
    variation etc...He said I should publish it. (I do, in the blog.)

The time control for this tournament is too long. It should have been 1 day no time control.
    Then we get loads of juicy blunders.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 Jun '15 22:47
    The rating disparity makes the result of the game somewhat irrelevant, but a smothered mate is always a little neat.

5. e4
    Moves
    21 Jun '15 00:32
    Had a similar finish a few months back.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree