1. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 14:25
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, maybe if he had fathered children, then the decision would have been different.

The Instructor
    hard to respect that statement.
  2. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 16:291 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    In fact banning him from Facebook for life would be the more sever punishment.
    Agreed, but given that my friend's dog has a Facebook account, I'm not sure how that could be enforced.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 19:58
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Hard to respect your statement that he can get married and father children, too.

The Instructor
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 14:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    What about your religious idea of forgiveness? Granted, the kid cheated but you do know a 16 yo does not have a biologically completed brain yet don't you? Would you be so vindictive as to not let him play a tourny 20 years later? He was SUCH a reprobate at the age of 16 there is no possibility of regret, growth in his mind and body and therefore should get a lifetime ban, even if he is GM potential?
  5. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 14:581 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    even if he is GM potential?
    In this instance, he isn't.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 19:151 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What about your religious idea of forgiveness? Granted, the kid cheated but you do know a 16 yo does not have a biologically completed brain yet don't you? Would you be so vindictive as to not let him play a tourny 20 years later? He was SUCH a reprobate at the age of 16 there is no possibility of regret, growth in his mind and body and therefore should get a lifetime ban, even if he is GM potential?
    my religious convictions are what? irrelevant! secondly, forgiveness and being shielded from the consequences of ones own actions are what? not synonymous! thirdly i resent your term of vindictiveness, he deliberately cheated and should be punished, no one here, least of all me, has called for a lifetime ban, making the rest of your post what? a pure straw man argument! now please, this is chess only, people come here to read chess games, why dont you post one.
  7. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 20:40
    Noting that atheletes on a first offence cant be banned for more than a couple of years the sentence in a hobby for a juvenile who is now an international laughing stock seems reasonable.

On a criminal side though if he was in with a chance of winning and there was prize money then in e&w an offence was committed! No idea about Ireland.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 20:45
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    Noting that atheletes on a first offence cant be banned for more than a couple of years the sentence in a hobby for a juvenile who is now an international laughing stock seems reasonable.

On a criminal side though if he was in with a chance of winning and there was prize money then in e&w an offence was committed! No idea about Ireland.
    with the prevalence of cheating in chess on-line and now OTB it seems hard to understand the leniency.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree