My blitz rating

My blitz rating

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Moves
04 Oct 09

About a year ago my online blitz rating for 5 0 games was 1500, and my standard rating for 15 0 was 1500. Now my standard is the same but i can't get my blitz much over 900. Is there any normal reason for this?

h

Moves
04 Oct 09

Originally posted by jjjeff1
Is there any normal reason for this?
No

e4

Moves
04 Oct 09

Don't play blitz if there is an 'R' in the month.

I do great in June and July and really drag in January,
February,March....etc. I don't play Blitz in May or August as those
months have a 'A' in them as I hate the letter 'A'.

😕

I've no idea mate - it just happens, don't read too much into Blitz chess.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
04 Oct 09

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Don't play blitz if there is an 'R' in the month.

I do great in June and July and really drag in January,
February,March....etc. I don't play Blitz in May or August as those
months have a 'A' in them as I hate the letter 'A'.

😕

I've no idea mate - it just happens, don't read too much into Blitz chess.
My blitz play really declines on days that end in "y":'(

Paul

e4

Moves
04 Oct 09

If you moved to Germany you would be better.

Their days end in tag. and not 'day'.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
04 Oct 09

Originally posted by greenpawn34
If you moved to Germany you would be better.

Their days end in tag. and not 'day'.
Now I know why so many Americans go to Europe to get GM norms!

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
04 Oct 09

About a year ago my online blitz rating for 5 0 games was 1500, and my standard rating for 15 0 was 1500. Now my standard is the same but i can't get my blitz much over 900. Is there any normal reason for this?
was the 1500 rating on the same site as the 900?

j

Moves
04 Oct 09

one was world chess live and the 900 is the ICC

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
04 Oct 09

one was world chess live and the 900 is the ICC
well therein lies the problem: ratings between different rating pools can't be compared. think of it as if one site measured things in inches, and the other in centimetres.

j

Moves
04 Oct 09

alright but isnt 600 points excessive, especialy when the 2 servers are owned by the same company?

e

Moves
04 Oct 09
1 edit

I took a break from blitz chess for a little more than a month and dropped about 500 points. Before the break, I was 1600+ on ICC in the 5-minute pool. After the break, I dropped to the 1100s. This wasn't just due to a high RD because the drop was steady and increasing after dozens of games. Of course, after a few more days of playing I started moving up to 1200, 1300, 1400, and now 1500+. During all this, my standard chess strength did not change.

Blitz is rather mindless. It's mostly about instinct and preparation (playing openings quickly is essential for 5 0). Most of the beauty and complexity of chess is reduced to the flip of a coin. There is no time for any serious planning, calculating or finesse so we are left to just replay our little learned script. With practice, the script is executed better and faster. At some point, the hand seems to move before the brain kicks in. That's when I know I'm at my best in blitz.

In the end, your chess is not substantially changed. You've gotten better at 5 0, not at chess in general. Your understanding is where it was from the start but you've adapted it to more effectively fit the time control. To better appreciate chess and improve, 15 0 or higher is probably necessary. Improving at this time control should generalize much better. To end my rant: don't worry about it.

j

Moves
04 Oct 09

Originally posted by exigentsky
I took a break from blitz chess for a little more than a month and dropped about 500 points. Before the break, I was 1600+ on ICC in the 5-minute pool. After the break, I dropped to the 1100s. This wasn't just due to a high RD because the drop was steady and increasing after dozens of games. Of course, after a few more days of playing I started moving up ...[text shortened]... at this time control should generalize much better. To end my rant: don't worry about it.
That makes a lot of sense. I'm glad this happens to other people too. Thanks