Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 31 May '06 13:20
    Game 2120254

It's the first time I have been able to acheive the smothered mate (as described by Josh in Chessmaster).

I never thought it could be done. Well, I guess I was proved wrong.

The person I was playing with was quite new to chess, so, I am not sure whether smothered mates have occured in GM games.

Could someone please shed some light onto this matter?

Thanks guys!
  2. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    31 May '06 13:28
    Show-off.
  3. Standard member dyl
    31 May '06 13:38
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Show-off.
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=44153&page=2#post_770171
  4. 31 May '06 14:00
    Well, my question was:
    Do smothered mates occur in GM games?

I would think not, since GMs would realised that they are crowding up their king too much and would find a away to resolve the problem.

However, in Josh's tutorial, he does state that at times, you must do things that would lead into a smothered mate to prevent a checkmate, and that is when it is most effective.

I admit that the position that I reached in the game above was completely by luck. It just so happened that my opponent moved his knight in such a position that I was able to checkmate him.

No showing off here, Bowmann
  5. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    31 May '06 14:38
    Originally posted by dyldo
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=44153&page=2#post_770171
  6. 31 May '06 14:42
    I can't see the relevance of that thread.
  7. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    31 May '06 16:40
    Originally posted by aommaster
    My first smothered mate
    And what are you going to do after you've killed all your friends?
  8. 31 May '06 16:45

Oh well... I'll just need to find some more then, wouldn't I?
  9. 31 May '06 17:37 / 1 edit
    "Veni, vidi, vici."
    - quote from a roman chessplayer that won his first game...

A free translation:
    I came to a position that something could happen.
    I saw the move that could lead to a mate.
    I did the move and I won the game.

Well done, I would say!
  10. 31 May '06 18:01
    Well, all I have to say was that it was COMPLETELY unexpected. I was going for a mate anyway (my bishop was ready as well as a knight). I was acutally going to move my other bishop out, but, the second I noticed that his king was completely surrounded, I noticed my knight could safely check him and in fact, checkmate!

Back to my original question:
    Does this ever happen in GM games?
  11. 31 May '06 20:42
    I don't see how anybody misses that in CC. However, he used alekhine's opening followed by 2...a5? And he traded a knight for a pawn, oh well, nice mate, I don't think I've ever had one. Then again I try to avoid playing 1200P's.
  12. 31 May '06 20:51
    Game 2120254

It's the first time I have been able to acheive the smothered mate (as described by Josh in Chessmaster).

The person I was playing with was quite new to chess, so, I am not sure whether smothered mates have occured in GM games.

Thanks guys!
    Interesting game. I've seen similar thing happen out of a different opening, similar mate. One comment:

5.Bd3 isn't a great move. It blocks the d-pawn and it's harder for you develop your other pieces. Try Bc4 or Bb5 right away.
  13. 31 May '06 23:14 / 1 edit
    Game 2120254

Thanks guys!
    Masterful! Now, find a real player to smother! hehe Just kidding. Nice job. You really made fish sticks out of him, I tell ya!
  14. 01 Jun '06 06:43
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Interesting game. I've seen similar thing happen out of a different opening, similar mate. One comment:

5.Bd3 isn't a great move. It blocks the d-pawn and it's harder for you develop your other pieces. Try Bc4 or Bb5 right away.
    Yeah... looking at it now, I had no idea what I was thinking!

Thanks a lot for the encouragement guys, but I don't think I would be able to do this again!
  15. 01 Jun '06 09:49
    A different sort of smothering
    Game 2116029

anybody got positions with more of your pieces adjacent to the opponents King?